AFR 185 heads - what is this hole for?

jcode68

Jul 15, 2003
Massachussetts
I was attempting to isolate a ticking sound that I have been assuming was noisy rockers. I wanted to be sure I didn't have an exhaust leak before getting into adjusting my rockers for nothing, so with the engine running, I put my hand down around the headers to feel if there was any air pressure. Sure enough, there was a bunch of air just puffing away out the back of the passenger side head. I had assumed it was a loose header bolt, so I snugged it up (wasn't even loose, plus I am using Percy's aluminum header gaskets, so should not leak). I felt around again for air pressure and it was still there and just as strong. I was able to isolate the air coming from the back of the head. So I went back to my picture archive from when I was doing some transmission work last year and have the following picture:

21616870139_large.jpg

You can see in the picture a dark stain indicating a leak, so am guessing this is the hole the the exhaust is leaking from. I searched the AFR website high and low for a reference as to what this hole is supposed to be used for, but could not find anything. I will call AFR's tech line tomorrow, but was hoping someone here might be familiar with it since many are running these heads. I'm guessing it's a smog port for use with later model 5.0 engines, but want to be sure. Am also assuming I can just put some high tem RTV on the right sized bolt and plug it. Any info is appreciated.
http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3647/3741/21616870139_large.jp

• Sponsors (?)

You're correct. Stock 5.0's have a tube that bolts there (in the adjacent 1/4" bolt hole) and the air is pumped into the spot where yours in leaking.

The two sets of Edelbrocks that I've had/have, came with threaded plugs to put in there. I just used red lock tite when I put them in and never had an issue. The Edlebrocks have them both front and rear so you can/could flip head to either side of engine.

Your picture looks like the insert might already be in there. Either that or the AFR's also come stock with helicoiled bolt holes. Can't tell for sure.

Thanks for confirmation. I did see thermactor plugs listed on AFR's website and agree, it looks like they are already screwed in there. I'll check tomorrow, hopefully it has just gotten loose. I will apply red loctite and tighten that puppy down and hopefully ALL my problems will be solved... Until the next one comes along...