Aftermarket Steering Wheels

Riverart

Oct 29, 2007
Ontario, CA
Hi. Thought I would throw it out there. I recently purchased a 1989 Mustang GT and am very happy and excited about having another Mustang again. I was aiming at buying a 90-93 but found this 89.

I like that it is a tilt wheel but I really don't like the look of the stock steering wheel. I know I can change the wheel (I'm looking at Momo Jet) but I want to keep the cruise control capability in case I want to go back to stock.

Any ideas? Also, if you have pics, please post of aftermarket wheels. I am also considering the leather wrapped OE version available from Latemodel - though the cost is high.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

there is an aftermarket Grant kit that retains cruise but it looks a little wonky imo....
Funny thing... I've had a 13" Grant in my 93 since 2000. parked the car in 07 to start rebuild, spent those years from 07 to 11 driving two chevy trucks, that I had put nice matte black steering wheel covers on and now that the fox is running, I went back to the OEM airbag wheel with a matte black cover as well.... go figure..
I felt like I was in a faster version of mario kart driving around with that 13" Grant... :)

Momo Monte Carlo with Saleen Cruise adapter..

momo_front.jpg

Just an update. Long story short I saw this steering wheel and they were throwing in the adapter with purchase so I went for it. Regarding the cruise control, I found that I didn't have to cut any wires, it simply isn't functional unless I use the stock wheel or if I add the switches somewhere else. I just wanted to leave the option open to use if I sold it later down the road.

Here's a pic:
img_5822.jpg

img_5813.jpg

Here's my son inspecting the wheel. He said OK.
View attachment 181580

Attachments

• img_5822.jpg
    img_5822.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 6,457
  • img_5813.jpg
    img_5813.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 503
I had a Grant in my 89 for a little while. Later on I switched back to the stock wheel and the cruise still worked. I would like to ditch the wheel in my 91 since it is worn through on the top of the wheel. However I have to have my cruise for my drive to work.

What about using a control box mounted to the dash somewhere, from say.... one of those Pep-Boys cruise control kits?

Or fabbing something up through a sett of momentary switches?

Dallas Custom Steering wheel recovered my stock wheel. I had them add a thicker padding like the 94 F150 that I own. Cost a bit though.

Scott

Dallas Custom Steering Wheel

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture001.jpg

joliet_2.jpg

Dallas steering wheel does great work. I had them do a wheel for me for another vehicle a few years back and it looked like factory. i'm going to have them do my spare wheel for my fox at some point. great company to deal with also.

Attachments

• Picture002.jpg
    Picture002.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 390
  • Picture003.jpg
    Picture003.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 629
  • joliet_2.jpg
    joliet_2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Picture001.jpg
    Picture001.jpg