Air silencer removal?

Now I'm pretty much hijacking my own thread, but this thread has raised a few more questions about quick engine modifications. So:

1. Does the roller cam work with the speed-density system. I know the duration and lift are different and tend to create an intake air fluctuation. I also know that speed-density systems do not like this type of fluctuation. Does the roller cam work and what will it do for my power/fuel economy? I have one in the capri, but that's carburetted so I don't have to worry about computers.

Here, I have a write up on my cardomain about the install/take out. It will gain you more HP than the stock cam, and more MPG. I went from 88 HP to around 105 with the swap (around 107-108 with the CAI)

The Install

2. Is the EGR tube connection the same on the cast monifolds as on the ranger header? Or is there bending and adapting to do? What about the header to pipe connection?

You just need to take the ranger header (90's rangers) and take the EGR tube as well, you need to weld the Mustang one and Ranger one together to make it work, but it can be done.

• Sponsors (?)

Not to be picky, but your page on cardomain documenting the install should say that the cam is the same as the 91-93, not 90-93. The only thing that bothers me about installing the ranger cam is compressing the valve springs....even the whole egr tube welding bit really doesnt bother me b/c i can take it to an exhaust shop and have them do it for cheap

How does it idle with the roller cam? I would imagine smoother. Now that I know the speed-density system can handle it, I may attempt it (along with a timing belt change for security's sake) since I have a spare roller cam. I'm suspicious that the slider cam is worn down because it idles like a tractor.

Well, I ended up spending $5 to remedy my air silencer situation. I went to the junkyard this morning and pulled the silencer off an 89 LX. Once I got home, I cleaned it and gutted it completely out. Took maybe 15 minutes. I installed it and drove around a little with it. The computer had a hard time adjusting (it would stall and stumble) but after about 10 minutes, the engine ran smoother, quieter, and more powerfully. It really did make quite a difference. I was expecting the intake to be noisier, but it really isn't. Just a little bit of air swoosh at times.

Getting one out of a junkyard is real easy. If you're pulling it from a ranger or if the core support prevents removal, pop the head off and then remove it. Depending on the year of the car and other options, you may have to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the engine just a little bit. I had to jack the engine up on my Capri to get it to fit over the core support.