All red tail light conversion questions

mike78

Apr 11, 2005
I finally got to a II before it was crushed and managed to get the tail lights for a all red swap. For those of you who have done this, how did you? Anything you would have done differently?

And what's the best way for the sequential set up? Same questions, how did you do it and what, if anything, would you do differently?

And last, could someone please post a pic of an interior coupe window with stock trim? My Ghia windows have been swapped and I need to figure out what trim I need ...............please:bang:

Thanx, mike78

• Sponsors (?)

so far, not so good. I had intended to make one all red light out of the two spares I have, but fracked 'em up good. Now I have two red lenses to use on my II, and know how fragile these can be..........
A dremel tool and about 15 of the cheap cut off wheels got 'em out, then I used a sanding drum (dremel) to shave the edges down. this was a flying hot melting plastic experence, as I still have some in my hair.
The reds are still approx 1/8" of an in too tall to line up the profile, I think I can use a belt sander to evenly sand them, I'll keep ya posted
One of the reds was cracked before I started, I hadn't noticed until it I was working on it, I fixed it with a two part clear epoxy and its holding well enough that I plan on using it to attach the lenses.
As far as the rest -- sequencing & interior coupe window pics please chime in anytime, however, I will continue to update as progress continues to hopefully aid someone else.

And, if anyone needs tail light trim or the tail light housings let me know quick.

I learned a couple of things.
For me, one of the orange lights needed to be removed whole from the donor lights whole. the light can serve as a measurement for the height of the new reds.
When removing the orange from the lights to be modified, be very careful. Mine were very brittle with age. I found that cutting out the center portion out while leaving a large lip worked best. The lip allowed for what was left of the orange light to be snapped off -- they seem to be glued in place. Be careful!!!! The orange can be dremeled off safer -- snapping can snap too much.
I am not planning on relocating where the bulb is located at this time. Instead, I used half of one diffuser from the donor square red to fill the space where the reverse light was and epoxied it in.

If you happen across a set, try first to assemble one all red light out of the two spares, this will let you get a feel for whats ahead before you have a chance to mess up the ones on your car. Also, patient -- slow. One good snap can really suck.

how do you load/link to pics that are too large?

You have to use a program that shrinks the original. I used to have a specific program but lost it, sorry. I have heard that if you are in a viewing program check for an "email picture" option, that will reduce the size of the original.
I have seen a couple of other all red set ups, look real nice.
Did you have any resources that you were following when you did yours?
:nice:

Resources included parts tools, and time...........
that sequential set up looks sweet.... I'll get there soon. mike78

I decided to relocate the center lights so that when I get to sequential they are all in line. I used the housings to get the square center light, just going to leave the reverse light hanging without the bulbs.

With all of the nifty little dremel tools I bought, a small cheap drill bit in the dremel worked the best -- figures.

used plastic epoxy the remount the center bulb holders, and plan on using monkey $h!t to fill any gaps. for those who don't know, monkey stuff can be bought at any electrical hardware store, I don't know the correct name -- it doesn't seem to have a legit one. will post pics when I figure it out
:worthlesb

When I did my All Red Conversion for the first time, it went Really smooth. My center red light it a little higher than the other 2, but not very noticeable to the naked eye. As for the centering of the bulb, I just took some careful measurements and used the rear housing from the donor lights and epoxied it in place. As for reverse lights, I think Im gonna find some very Slim fog lights and put under rear bumper with some of that night shades spray tint. Either that, or find some smaller lights to put under the bumper somewhere, maybe like the 60's reverse lights?

monkey stuff lol ....its gorilla snot lol.....
its really called 3m super weatherstrip adhesive :D

um.... not quite. I looked at the label closer and it says:
MODEL #DS -110
1LB. PUG DUCT SEAL
GB ELECTRICAL
MILWAUKEE, WI
it comes in a one pound block, is dark grey and is like taffy. Handy stuff really -- very sticky, very formable, water proof, and stays put.

finally have pics, via photobucket:
http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o242/jokerb90/tail lights/
things I did that might help. I used a silcone type sealant around the foam outer seal, without it acts as a sponge and holds water up to the metal.
I wish I had been more careful when removing the reds, at the time I was not planning to relocate the bulbs, and broke the square matching diffuser. I wound up just gluing half peices under the stock ones. Kinda half a$$ed, but scatters the light well.
I used a large belt sander to level the reds down to the correct light, it helped to keep everything level.

Still need a interior coupe window pic, and info for a low cost way to sequential the lights. I will update if I find a cheap way that works well. Hope this helps, mike78.

Great job on the all red conversion.

I don't know about the price, but these guys (http://www.northwestmustang.com/mustangII.html) make a MII LED tail light conversion (outer bulbs only). Apparently you have to find a reseller to get a price.

While you are there, check out their project car with the Handler body kit and Lambo doors!

I would think that 2 of these kits and a standard Mustang 3-light sequencer would do the job. In fact a standard Mustang 3-light sequencer like the newer transistorized replacement for the old Shelby "dynamite sticks" should work fine with your 3-bulb setup. Probably not "cheap", so you might start looking for a sequencer kit or instructions to make one on the web.

I'm going to convert my Ghia to standard coupe windows also, so I'm looking for pictures also. I'll let you know if I find any. All of the good interior shots I've seen so far are of later Ghia's or hatchbacks.

Are your rear seat side panels from the original Ghia?

Are your rear seat side panels from the original Ghia?

No they are not. For me, the swap to coupe required all of the window trim (even over the doors) from a coupe, the windows, and the interior side panels that were painted (almost) to match.
The Ghia panels leave a large hole.
I did this swap one part at a time via the internet and that is why I don't know what interior trim I need.
The coupe windows really clean up the look for my car, and its suprising how much visibility has improved.
Good luck on the swap, and thanx, mike78.