Alt. 1st & 2nd gears in a C4?

DK832

Apr 11, 2006
Copenhagen, DK
An odd question: I roadrace my Mustang with a JW Performance C4 with manual reverse valvebody and a Pro Ratchet shifter. I use the C4 as a poor mans sequential box, so far without ruining anything, and with the shifter relocated back, left and up it's really sweet and fast. 3rd is perfect for the track sizes here, hitting the rev limiter at around 140mph (3.70 rear) but 1st is too low except for the very tightest of turns.
So I'd like to go a bit against the mainstream and have a taller 1. and 2. gear than people normally want (for holeshot).
Who do I call for different gears? JW is drag race only it seems. The engine is close to 400HP with an added 200 NOS shot for occasional street fun.

• Sponsors (?)

I've never seen gear that change the gearing in tht direct, only more for a hole shot. You could always look at a 700r4 from a chebbie, or a GV ubit.Either will cost some money. But the chevy has a long first gear. But might be as expensive as the GV by the time you convert and build for 700 hp.

Yeah, same here. Talked to Lentech and it seems they offer a "close ratio" AOD/4R70 that they don't list in the catalog. 2.18 1st , 1.38 2nd , 1:1 3rd and .67 o/d. I'm not too sure about the O/D and my torque though?

a properly preped aod will handle all the torque you can throw at it...the key, in your application will be the input shaft. a good aftermarket input, along with a '91 core (best of the aod direct clutch drum) added frictions, and a mechanical diode to replace the sprag, will give you a real neck snapper.