Alternator pulley

• Sponsors (?)

If you managed to put get the crank pulley off on your own, you can take the alternator off too on your own. Real simple, Take a flat head screwdriver insert it inside the front side, not the top, of the alternator. Wedge it against the stongest part of the little fan blade inside there. This will keep the bolt from spinning and as long as your careful you will not damage the alternator. It sounds harder than it is. Just try it

99GHOST said:
I did not put the steeda alternator pulley on for fear of the difficulty. Will I notice more power if I do? I have an impact wrench.

if you leave it off you wont have voltage drops that many people speak of when at idle. I didnt install my alt pulley and the car runs better!!

U/D Pulley's

I had my Steeda underdrive pulley set on my 96 GT for 10K miles.
I never had charging problems or cooling problems but,I changed
all three pulley's.I don't think you would really have a problem
because you didn't change the alternator pulley but,you never
know.To get full effect of the underdrive pulley you have to
change all three pulley's that is what the salesmen at Steeda
told me anyway. Good Luck!

I had operated my car with the stock pulley and steeda crank/waterpump combo for the past 6 +months with no problems. This week, while I had the alternator out of the car during a PI intake swap, I brought it up to my local mechanic to swap over the last remaining one. Took all of 2 minutes and they didn't charge me to do it. Just tipped the installer. I had no problems with the stocker pulley and don't have any dimming problems with the Steeda one while at idle either. But I can't say if there are any hp gains felt as I made more than just the alternator pulley change. I say go for it, if you don't want to take the chance though, bring it up and have it done.

jason1320 said:
I'm lazy, plus I don't have an impact wrench or H/B puller. Is $115 a fair price for Steeda u/d pully swap? Any one on D/C metro wanna do it for cheeper?

Borrow a puller and an impact wrench and do it yourself. I can't imagine paing that much. That ijs enough to get a used timing adjuster and a case of beer to drink (only after the work is finished on the car). :D

Its all relative since installing pullies involves removing and replacing the crank pullly and bolt. The vast majority of the time everything goes smoothly and it is a half hour job, but every once in a while something VERY BAD will happen, like the crank bolt breaking off. It is due ot these risks that shops charge relatively high rates, they know sooner or later that a simple pully swap will turn into a multi thoasand dollar major enjgine rebuild that they will have to preform for free.

Ike