Aluminum Heads on a 351W questions

I have a 65 Mustang with a 351W, has a RV Cam, Holley 670cfm Street Avenger Carb, and Edelbrock Intake. I am looking at either a 185cc or 205cc set of aluminum heads. I dont know much about air flow research, but i have heard good things about trick flow heads too. I found these heads on craigslist...SBF: 1 pair of aluminum CNC machined and ported AFR heads, 185cc, Does anyone know anything about them?
Also ive read articles on people getting 75-85 hp just with a set up aluminum heads upgrade, but also have read people saying they only gained 10-15? I really and looking for a set of good heads that can gain me as much hp as possible without having to change the cam and everything if thats possible with my setup... And any ideas on HP gain?

• Sponsors (?)

If you don't want to change the cam then you do not want either the 185 or the 205. You will not be able to take advantage of their additional flow capability.

It really does not make a lot of sense to go to any better flowing head (over what you currently have) with an RV cam that runs out of power below 5000 rpm.

If you are not willing to change the cam then I would just stick with what you have. You would gain some HP by going to better heads but IMO not enough to make it worth the effort.

An engine makes power based on the combination. Throwing one speed part at it without taking everything else into consideration is usually a waste of time.

the cam has a huge effect on air flow,whats the piont of putting on great heads with a small lift cam if you want a big hp gain?We use Brodix track1 heads with a High lift mechanical roller to get the most out of what we have,ok you dont have to go that far or expensive but a nice Compcam would get you some great gains with those heads.Talk to an engine builder about a complete package the more air you pump more hp,but you didnt a=say what your doing with it.street driving/ drags or pulling a 26ft trailer.It all comes into play for the optimum choice for your application.

the 185's will work even with a stock cam but maybe 10-15hp with stock, depending on the cam you have and compression will dictate how much hp you will gain, as well as induction and exhaust, what are your cam specs? A good alum head that works well is the twisted wedge, it will not kill low end, it will give the best PV clearance than any 2.02 valved head and will run right with the afr 185 in peak hp, a 205cc head will do you no good with a small cam, it will just start making big power right where your cam stps making power. If your cam is the usuall rv grind like the performer 204 214 448 472 then a smaller head will be the best choice but the TW head will still work great.

No i havent got the specs on the cam, i called the shop and left a message, but they havent returned my call, so im going to call them back today. We havent got the carb fixed yet, and are trying to find a mechanic to do it. We have a few shops, such as Carter Automotive? Precision Restoration? Garrett Customs? Mustang Muscle? and Old Dog Street Rods??? My guess is that they arent gonna be cheap. But we are supposed to bring the mustang into a shop to get the new TCI breakaway torque converter installed tom, and found out the fmx needs a new belt, so while its apart we are putting in the transgo shift kit. Hopefuly it makes a difference. And for the aluminum heads, i think we are just going to get the car in dd condition, and then if anything just get the heads ported and polished until money comes in for more higher performance parts.

Restomodded 66

what size gears do you have on that 9"? And if you dont mind me asking, approx. how much was your 4 link rear?

Hi! I got 3.55 gear for now. I did not drive it yet, still working on the car. I build my four link, I build it similar to heidt one. QA1 shocks were about 360$ and a couple hundred for the rest, rod end, bushing and DOM tubing.

Nice job Resto that looks good makes me wonder adout the Lincon rear we have here I need to mesure was it a bit longer,did you use the front leaf mounting pad for the lower control arm front attachment piont ?

Nice job Resto that looks good makes me wonder adout the Lincon rear we have here I need to mesure was it a bit longer,did you use the front leaf mounting pad for the lower control arm front attachment piont ?

thanks! I did not mount the lower control arm in the stock location, but mounted my bracket in it. I wanted to keep the lower control arm parallel to the ground.