Amazingly annoying tick...please help

mike93lx

May 22, 2003
Hudson, MA
OK, I have an amazingly annoying tick emminating from my motor. it varies with speed and occurs at an interval that tells me that it is realted to just one cylinder. I had the valvetrain readjusted my a VERY skilled professional to no avail. things that come to mind now are pushrod too short or long or a stuck lifter. I am thinking that the lifter is most likely, but could that cause this? I did not build the motor, so I can't comment on the internals (pushrod length, lifter quality, etc)

pretty much all of the details should be in my sig.

Any suggestions??

• Sponsors (?)

i have looked around for the exhaust leak and, as I mentioned, had a pro look at it as well and I can't find a leak. One of the reasons why I'm leaning to an internal issue is because I have a mechanic's stethoscope and I can't pinpoint the issue to a header or valve cover, but i don't know if a bad lifter could even be doing this.

also, I have heard that some of the older Twisted Wedge heads had a ticking problem. I'm not sure exactly how old the heads are, but I believe that they were used when they were installed.

Thanks for the help, anyone else?

The easiest way...for me...to find a possible leak is with a few feet of heater hose. Go to your local parts store and buy a 3' length of heater hose. Hold one end to your ear and move the other end all around any exhaust seal. You can maneuver the hose around all points where the headers meet the heads, where the headers meet the x-pipe, and so on.

If you have an exhaust leak, that is the quickest way to find out. Even the slightest leak will be very loud in the hose. It's like a stethoscope for exhaust leaks.

Also....and I don't think this would apply to you...but...

Most roller rockers make a ticking sound. Everybody I know, especially those with bolt down rockers, sound like they have a sewing machine in the engine compartment.

nah, this isn't valve train noise, this is a very distict, very loud, and very annoying tick.

i apprecaite the responses. I think I have an extra set of header gaskets in the trunk. I think I may give replacing them a shot.

Anything else?

I would get more like a tapping sound than a ticking sound with my old 5.0 motor after making a 1/4 mile pass at the track. I brought my car to an engine builder and former mustang drag racer that I know. He said basically, that he couldn't pin point the problem without getting into the motor and that it may be a lifter haging up. But he suggested running a heavier weight oil like 10-40 instead of 10-30. I put 4 qts of Valvoline 10-40 and 1-qt of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and the ticking or tapping went away. My motor had 125000 miles on it.
It may be worth a try.
Good Luck
Hope this helps

thanks for the input everyone but I already run 20W-50 Castrol Semi synthetic.

at this point, i guess I'm most wondering if it really could be a stuck lifter...I am willing to tear off the heads and intake to check them, just want to see if it is really likely it.