amps totaling 1200W.. will i need a new alternator??

ffr66cobra

Dec 18, 2004
Still working on the stereo install.... I have a #4 wire and two #8's running to the back of the car for a 800W rms sub amp and two 200W rms components speaker amps.... Question is, anybody know what the amperage rating is on 2001GT?? Would i need to bump it up?? Would i need at least one capacitor on the sub amp? or will i be ok w/ everything stock? Thanks for any info... Mike

• Sponsors (?)

should be fine. the memphis 1300 watt 5 channel and I just ran a cap to the amp beause I had one.

that being said if I just have it cranked I can make my headlights dim a bit. so I am somday going to try to apgrade the sytem but it is not a must have for me.

well i got 2 12" kicker solobarics and a 4000 watt amp with a 1 farad capacitor...i bumped it .eventully ur alternator will die.....i just replaced mine this past weekend...so i would get a capacitor no matter what u got..just my 2 cents.. :spot:

Capacitors are worthless please don't waste your money on one. If you are going to upgrade anything, upgrade the battery to an optima yellow top. That will take care of everything. I had like 1000 watts rms with my system and UD pullies. If I had my lights on and the a/c on while listening to the system then my lights would dim like crazy. The optima would take care of it though. And no, it will not ruin your alternator...if anything, it may mess up your battery. Thats about it though.

caps are the biggest waste of money, I had my 2 12 inch orion h2 12's in my mazda MP3, 60 amp alt, 2400 rms bahn amp@1ohm (149.2db btw on new mics ;) ). Run a second battery, and to keep full power to the amp and keep the power coming, you should be just fine with that, but over time your alternator will begin to fade. :nice:

I love the coments on the caps. if caps are so worthless why do more expensive amps have more capacitence in the power supply?

talk about that one for a wile.

A cap is not a total solution for a charging system. its sole purpose is to just keep a power researve for the amp so you don't get a voltage drop. if you chargin system can't keep up there will always be a voltage drop.

hognutz said:
I love the coments on the caps. if caps are so worthless why do more expensive amps have more capacitence in the power supply?

talk about that one for a wile.

A cap is not a total solution for a charging system. its sole purpose is to just keep a power researve for the amp so you don't get a voltage drop. if you chargin system can't keep up there will always be a voltage drop.

yes, but so many people buy them and expect such great help, give me the better charging system over stock alt plus cap ;)

im sure half the people who buy there "1200 watt amps" are really purchasing no where near that.

the known rule if you are really getting a TRUE wattage, with maximum efficiency and minimum distortion, is about spending $1 per watt (and no, not on a hookup, just retail pricing)

and whoever said that it wont kill your alternator but it will kill your battery is a lil off. it will definately wear on your alternator... just speaking from experience