An example of why selling a car is so difficult...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
So a few days ago S&B discovered that my car was up on ebay, so he posted the link and a few members responded in the thread. One member decided he was going to PM me pics of three cars he wanted to trade me, but I could only pick two of them for the trade. I informed him what MY BOTTOM LINE was. I don't care what you think it's worth, or what your friend bought a real 03/04 Cobra for a few days ago (how convenient). I'm telling you WHAT I WANT FOR IT. It'll sit and rot if I don't get what I want for it, period.

The cars up for trade are nowhere near equalling my bottom line for the 1999 GT with mods listed in my sig. He sent me a link to a ragged out 7up convertible with no paint left on it and a FILTHY interior, a notch worth maybe $4k on a good day. Keep in mind, both cars were sitting on dirty turbines in the pics. The member then proceeded to get mad and nasty when I informed him that I would need some cash on top of a trade, as a straight across trade would just not be feasible for the amount of money a swapped car like mine cost to build. Was I not polite enough? See for yourself. Enjoy.

***** said:
1991notchbackLX said:
***** said:
1991notchbackLX said:
***** said:
1991notchbackLX said:
***** said:
I'll try to get you some photos. I have to talk it over and think about it. But I did notice, no A/C and no power steering. Are you still thinking about trading with guy with the Lightning in the Fort Myers Florida area? My only concern is getting both cars to you.
Yeah, no a/c and no power steering, this car is all business. It does have heat and an awesome Mach 460 stereo system with 6 CD changer though. The dude with the lightning flaked out on me. Get me some pics and mod lists and we'll go from there.

This link works. Sorry.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Hey, I took a look at the pics but I only saw one notch. Do you have any pics of the other one? What are the mods done to each? To be honest with you, the 7up car is not something I'd be interested in, it's just too rough. Do you have any cash to put on top of the trade? Unless each notch is worth $7500, or some combination equalling $15k, I'll need some cash too. Let me know. Thanks.

Chris
The primed notch has a rebuilt bottom end, less than 5,000 miles and a hurst slap shifter. I am still thinking of things. This Notch is my step brothers so I don't know everything about it, I know most things.

I'd probably need like at least $5k on top of the two notches. In reality, those two vehicles don't equal my bottom line of $15,000. I don't mean to bash your cars, because they're nice, so please don't take it the wrong way. It hurts the deal that you just posted a thread about having to tow one notch 5 times this year and want to sell it because it's too much of a headache. My car is turnkey and dead reliable. The drivetrain alone in this car cost $9,000 and only has 18k miles on it. This is easily a $25k swap I have sitting in my driveway. All in all I appreciate the interest, but unless there's cash in the deal I dont think I can take that big of a hit on a straight across trade. Thanks for the interest. Take care.

Chris
HAHAHA that was three years ago, and was a bad distributor. Anyway, I'd rather have a 03 Cobra for that price, cause you aren't going to get that kind of money out of it. Other people can get a 03/04 Cobra for that price.The fact the drivetrain only has 100,000 miles on was my main concern anyway. Since the car didnt have A/C I can't swing $5,000. I can swing $2,000. No way is anyone going to get off their high horse and pay that kind of money for you car. No wonder the Lightning guy flaked, I do know him personally. Good luck.

• Sponsors (?)

I hate to say it (cause some of you guys get predictably pissed when Fox body's aren't put on a pedestal) but Fox owners are the absolute worst for their delusions that their cars are actually worth way, way more than they actually are.

Unless it has a blower, or stroker under the hood, with a slew of aftermarket drive and power train components, no Fox body is worth more than $5,000 in my book.

Too many people place a dollar value on sentiment....which is why you still see them sitting in the Auto Trader week after week.

I just yesterday looked at some of the Fox’s in my local trader and most still want over $7,500 for '87-'89 GT with well over 200K on the clock.

Some people are outright crazy. :crazy:

...case in point!!!

FORD MUSTANG in ETOBICOKE, ON - AutoTrader,,

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_...=70&CompanyID=&r=ontario&ad-attributes=photos,,

yeah you are right, it's even worse here in Canada. Cars go for huge bucks as it is, let alone a mustang........yet I would get nothing for mine with all the crap I have in it because everyone wants a deal.

1991notchbacklx............

I can't remember your original reason why you are selling the car, you've posted so many for sale threads on different sites, I can't keep track.....why the sale?

It's a sweet car, and should fetch a good penny. However I think you are just asking for it when you say you'll consider trades. It's an open invitation. I can understand your frustration.

Indeed....Trades will attract every deadbeat who thinks their ragged out Pontiac Sunfire with home made cold air intake and fart muffler is worth a damn.

I would probably outline what you don't consider "interesting trades", just to keep the yahoo's at bay.

You never know....some guy in a blown '96 Mercury Cougar may come knocking at your door trying to make a deal. ;)

Dont take this the wrong way, cause i really love that car, and i think you made out cause you basically traded your notch for that and got to own a chevelle in the process but nobody is ever gonna give you what that car is worth as a swap.

the car is killer, its probly better than any 03/04 cobra out there because of the C4 and solid rear, so its a perfect start to a street strip car, but at the end of the day you are going to run into people that want the car for what a stock 99-04 gt is worth, modifications do nothing for value and i would say that the car is worth 11-12k, that would be a fair price, but nowadays everone wants something for nothing. speaking of I have an 89 hatchback, im trying to sell it for 3750, wanna trade? straight up of course :D

I hate to say it (cause some of you guys get predictably pissed when Fox body's aren't put on a pedestal) but Fox owners are the absolute worst for their delusions that their cars are actually worth way, way more than they actually are.

Unless it has a blower, or stroker under the hood, with a slew of aftermarket drive and power train components, no Fox body is worth more than $5,000 in my book.

Too many people place a dollar value on sentiment....which is why you still see them sitting in the Auto Trader week after week.

I just yesterday looked at some of the Fox’s in my local trader and most still want over $7,500 for '87-'89 GT with well over 200K on the clock.

Some people are outright crazy. :crazy:

...case in point!!!

FORD MUSTANG in ETOBICOKE, ON - AutoTrader,,

FORD MUSTANG in ORILLIA, ON - AutoTrader,,
Think my car is worth more than 5k? Nah i dont think so either, even when the drivetrain is donw and i have 35k into the car it will still be only worth 15K MAX

Think my car is worth more than 5k? Nah i dont think so either, even when the drivetrain is donw and i have 35k into the car it will still be only worth 15K MAX

:)

...although no matter how nice it is, it would have to be something super special for me to drop a dime over $15k on any Mustang GT/LX, no matter what the mods. After a while, money being spent on an old, high production car like that just flies right down the crapper.

And I hate to say it, but just because you'll end up wrapping $35K into the car after all is said and done, don't count on getting anywhere near close to that when you sell it....even if you put it up for sale the day after you finished it. The market just doesn't allow for it.

Hell, I've got over $20k into my car within the last 5-years and I'll be lucky to get even half that out of it when I sell it. :(

Didn't you know that being a notch adds $4,500 to ANY fox out there...

I think you owe the person who PMed you an appology, and you should be paying him $5,000 on top of his cars.

:D

Truth. It’s actually now at the point that you're further ahead buying a 4-cylinder car and building your own, for what some of these owners want for mediocre example of the V8 model.

Cobra912-- I'm selling the car to take care of some expenses I have piling up, namely graduate school. I'm on the edge of just keeping it, though, and finding another way. Everyone wants something for nothing is right.

I've listed in EVERY ad that I've posted that I'm looking for a clean fox (notch preferred) plus cash, an 05-09 GT of equal value, 99-04 Lightning, or clean DD plus cash. Thousands of views and nothing but insults is all I've gotten.

I understand some of you saying the car is worth $12k, and that you never get back what you put in. That said, some of these offers are just downright insulting. If my asking price is set at $15k and you offer me a straight across trade for a car that you have listed for sale for $5500, you're basically calling me an idiot and testing my intelligence. I'm so discouraged over the whole thing, so who knows any more... :shrug:

:)

...although no matter how nice it is, it would have to be something super special for me to drop a dime over $15k on any Mustang GT/LX, no matter what the mods. After a while, money being spent on an old, high production car like that just flies right down the crapper.

And I hate to say it, but just because you'll end up wrapping $35K into the car after all is said and done, don't count on getting anywhere near close to that when you sell it....even if you put it up for sale the day after you finished it. The market just doesn't allow for it.

Hell, I've got over $20k into my car within the last 5-years and I'll be lucky to get even half that out of it when I sell it. :(
i was joking of course, im never selling my car

I think the problem is most people don't understand
1. What their fox is actually worth
2. You will NEVER get out of it without taking a loss.
I've got 10kish in mine and would never ask for anything near 10k if I tried to sell it.
I get calls an emails from people who have jeeps worth about 2k though and someone offered me a jetski they were selling for $500. I know what you mean, it's insulting to get an offer like that. I'm not a ****ing idiot.

I absolutely HATE trying to sell vehicles.
Good luck though man, I honestly hope you end up keeping it though, it's a damn nice car.

I'm selling some seats and have been getting the standard low ball offers. Asking $300, and I got a few emails in the $100-150 range... I understand the economy sucks, and these are used parts etc... but who goes and offers half or less and expects any kind of sane response???

Back on topic.

I will trade you my car, and you give me $3,582.48.

I'm selling some seats and have been getting the standard low ball offers. Asking $300, and I got a few emails in the $100-150 range... I understand the economy sucks, and these are used parts etc... but who goes and offers half or less and expects any kind of sane response???

Back on topic.

I will trade you my car, and you give me $3,582.48.

haha, how about a straight across trade? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.