Roush another question about this coupe

Somebody stole the engine bay tag off of it so I just found another, who engraves these, a trophy shop or I think there is a engraving place in the mall? and what font is the writing in? maybe does someone have a close-up pic that I could take to the store to get mine done? I just sold my 00 Saleen or I would of took a pic of that one.

Also about the wheels, how can you tell what wheels came stock on that car. Because I have the ssc dp wheels in white, but the lip on the outside edge had been machined, and looking at the pics in the Saleen book all of the ssc wheels were all white?

Thanks

Here is the pic of a wheel:
saleenwheel1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The numbers were just steel stamped by hand.
Did you know that you can get a new plaque directly from Saleen.

Not positive on the wheels, but I would think that it came stock with the
Saleen / American 5 star wheels like these, but probobly with gray spokes, I've seen them with white spokes also.

2005_1218_152002AA.jpg

Hope this helps!
Bill

oh really, maybe I will call saleen. I e-mailed them before and got no response. About the wheels thaqt is what I was thinking also but I wasn't sure. Where would of these come from then? and why the polished lip. They say saleen mustang in the center cap. Did another co. make them?

The wheels were made by American Racing for Saleen.
They all have the polised lip on them. From what I remember the colors that they came in for 89 was gray, gold or white spokes, depending on the color of the car,
alot of the white cars had white spoked wheels, but I believe the most common color was gray. Black and Gold was popular, Red and Gold was a very rare combiation.
My car is the only Red Hatch w/ Gold Wheels and Graphics built in 89 with the gray interior, acording to my letter of authenticity from Saleen.

Bill

Are you talking about your style of wheels? Or mine, because I have never seen mine in any other color than white? But I know where there is a style like yours, but I don't know what color. But If mine were stock I will just keep them because I do like that style.

Thanks

Yes I am talking about my style of wheels, they are what came stock in 89, although some still came with the basket weave wheels.
Your wheels are what came on the SSC cars and all were white. So I don't think that they came stock on your car, but anything is possible!
They also used the DP's on the SC cars, and I have seen them in white and gray.
If anyone knows more feel free to chime in, I'm no expert on the DP wheels.

Bill

I think your car probably came with the 5 spoke ARE in grey or white (most likely grey)

The wheels on your car appear to be ARE "DP style" and not actual DP 5 wheels that were used on the SSC's.

I don't think the SSC DP-5 wheel had the flat polished lip that you have, which leads me to believe they are the ARE DP style wheels

For further details check out the wheel guide at http://www.s281sc.com/

I could of sworn those rims were also offered with a 5 lug and 4 lug pattern physically on the same rim.

I also think that your center cap has the wrong decal on it, suggesting they are just a regular set purchased aftermarket.

It may not matter much in the end, because after browsing the saleen book pics, the only cars i find that rim on is the SSC and the SC's.

Well then they must just be ssc wheels that someone polished the lip which still doesn't make alot of sence. Also on the 4-5 lug thing mine are just 5-lug there is no other pattern on the wheels. It must have been done along time ago because the guy I got it from didn't do it and he had it 11 years. Wierd, I like them alot anyways, I was just wondering because of the polished lip.

Thanks

yes the rims was offered in 4 & 5 lug & they both had the polished wheel lips. i have heard these wheels refered to as the AR5 wheels. the 4 lug version was offered on the GTSport Saleen mustangs. the SSC & SC DP5 wheels had no polished wheel lips. i have the 4 lug set in storage - (they were used as examples in the Saleen wheel guide that was made) either way, the wheels are very hard to get so keep them. they look good with your car.

yes the rims was offered in 4 & 5 lug & they both had the polished wheel lips. i have heard these wheels refered to as the AR5 wheels. the 4 lug version was offered on the GTSport Saleen mustangs. the SSC & SC DP5 wheels had no polished wheel lips. i have the 4 lug set in storage - (they were used as examples in the Saleen wheel guide that was made) either way, the wheels are very hard to get so keep them. they look good with your car.

So was it a factory option that you could buy or something? I am going to keep them because they do look good on that that car.

Thanks.:nice:

So was it a factory option that you could buy or something? I am going to keep them because they do look good on that that car.

Thanks.:nice:

Tons of good info up above. Contact Patti at Team Saleen for your build info. Wheel color should be on the list.

As for other wheel info. I was always under the inpression that there were defaults. White cars with blue stripes had white wheels, white cars with sliver had silver wheels, but then you could of had white wheels with silver stripes. I'm sure someone could have requested silver wheels with a blue stripe, but I think the default was white wheels when the stripe was blue during this period.

Look at your center caps. DP caps have a clear laminate over the cap logo. Both the DP logoed caps and the flying "S" caps have this plastic layer on top of the sticker. I'm curious to know if the older "Saleen Mustang" logo that is on your caps holds this plastic layer too.

90-0002 had DP wheels (if I remember it was a special build coupe, maybe red, but my mind is crapping out) and I believe that I can recall a '90 green, stripe delete, 'vert that came with silver DP wheels too. Then you have 90-0090 which was another green 'vert that was SC spec (and then some) that also had the DPs.

The DPs were like $100.00 more a pop than the AREs back in the day. It's a neat wheel and on you special build coupe... they look pretty cool.

I think if you place the DPs and the ARE GT sport wheels side-by-side you can pick out a few differences. One of the flaws with the DPs are... the spokes stickout which tend to make the wheels friendly with curbs and damaged spokes, cracks and junk result. Oh... and DPs are heavier than a gorilla. The GT Sport wheels don't appear to have the dramatic spokes.

If you find a set of styled spoke Saleen spec AREs. Buy 'em. They are not going to be any easier to find X years from now.

Oh. Let us know about your center cap and if if has a clear plastic cover over the sticker.

Enjoy!

My guess would be that they were bought out of the Saleen Catalog, back in the day when Saleen still sold nice parts for our cars!
Probobly by one of the previous owners of your car.
If you have acess to, and can buy the ARE 5 Stars for a decent price I would snag them up, just to have, they pop up on e-bay now and then, but the prices really fluctuate.

Bill

I just looked at my center caps and you can pick off the sticker. It crusty and flakes off but you can get it off. So they must not be cleared over. There was a set of my same stickers listed on ebay the other day that I should of bought.
Thanks for all on the info.

Do you have a picture of the backside of your wheels? They look like the set of replicas/or aftermarket or whatever they are that I have. I also have a set of DP's that came on my SSC (No Polished lip) and another set no one knows what they are.

My wheel or (88foxsaleen)? I was looking at my wheel and the grey set and there is still I think some differences in the two. My polished lip looks smaller, and also my center cap is different besides the sticker. If I call saleen would they tell me what wheels came on it stock?