Anti theft device?

blksgrl

Sep 12, 2004
Kansas City
This may be a dumb question, but is there any type of anti theft device in our factory stereos? I thought there was some issue with the power getting to it, but about a minute after turning it on, it completely shuts off. However, sometimes, it will just flash after it shuts off...so I know there is power getting to it. Has anyone had this happen or does anyone know if there is an anti theft device of some sort? I don't have a manual for my car, but my last car you just punched in an unlock code to activate the stereo again. Any ideas guys?
Thanks in advance! :)

• Sponsors (?)

I've heard of someone who installed my lo-jack system that he made a kill-switch hooked up to his stereo. If you take out the face plate, the car wouldn't start. In order to make the car start, the face plate must be in there and the radio must be on as the switch is connected to his fuel pump.

Seraphitia102 said:
I've heard of someone who installed my lo-jack system that he made a kill-switch hooked up to his stereo. If you take out the face plate, the car wouldn't start. In order to make the car start, the face plate must be in there and the radio must be on as the switch is connected to his fuel pump.

So, if someone steals your radio, or just its faceplate, you are stuck with a car that will not start??? :(

GT-03 said:
So, if someone steals your radio, or just its faceplate, you are stuck with a car that will not start??? :(

Probably. The person installing my lo-jack warned about something like that. I wonder if the fuel-pump cut-off is reversable though? Then again, it would stupid if it was reversable, since a thief could probably reverse it themselves, unless they didn't know where to look.

Well the last time I unhooked everything and re hooked it all up, it was fine. I unscrewed something that shouldn't have been unscrewed this last time...so I thought it was preventing the power from getting to the stereo. But, it comes on for about one minute, then shuts off...but now that I know the power is getting there, it's either some kind of short or the person before me did something strange to it. I imagine it's just some type of short though. :(

The stereo is stand-alone and doesn't have any kind of antitheft that I'm aware of. Don't know what it'd be flashing..

The only anti-theft the car has at all is the PATS system (the chip in the key).

Is the radio getting really hot? It may just be on its last leg. The mach system kinda sucks if you ever try to change anything.