Any experience with CJ Pony Doors?

palerider94

Feb 21, 2006
I'm considering replacing my driver door with a door from CJ Pony. Bought the passenger side from NPD and was pretty happy with fitment so far. CJ has the driver on sale it's $75 less than NPD plus free shipping. Plus NPD charges truck freight on doors - $135 extra (not sure why 1 company does and the other doesn't). I think the NPDs where Dynacorn. Anybody have any experience with CJ doors?

• Sponsors (?)

I got a dynacorn replacement door from Mustangs Unlimited (im sure other sellers have this door as well) its about 50 bucks more than the standard repop doors, but it fit my 67 very very well, very pleased.

Interesting. I don't see how they make any money at that price.

Thats what I thought too. My driver door was not too bad. Couple of small creases and small holes that opened up when I blasted the bottom edge. Also slightly sprung. All fixable things. But for that price was not worth the effort to patch/repair. Will probably put on ebay eventually.

I had an argument with a body shop over my door. It had some slight rust in the bottom of it and when he quoted me 600 dollars to fix the door (not including paint, just getting it patched and primed) I told him i could get a new door for half that cost. He basically called me a liar, and I basically told him forget it, lol. Anyway got my new door, and rebuilt my hinges....very pleased.

I told him i could get a new door for half that cost. He basically called me a liar, and I basically told him forget it, lol. Anyway got my new door, and rebuilt my hinges....very pleased.

Shop near here got to the point where a typical door repair was over $1000, so they started using a lot of repro doors to save customers money. Makes everybody happy.

Your shop guy probably uses traditional auto supply chain for body parts, probably has no idea doors are available for your car.

2+2, you're correct, he had no clue....what got me irate was not the 600 bucks for the repair, but the fact that he thought i was full of s**t and even got smart with me about it. I guess he thought I was trying to get him to come off the price and responded with "Well why don't you just go get one of those $300 doors, I have been doing this for 40 years and ain't ever seen none of them" Anyway....i went and got me one of them $300 doors, lol.

Haha...i plan on it, he's the only local guy that does cash work anymore, but he's such a grouch. I went back to him to ask about a paint job and I got "I dont have the time and you don't have enough money" wouldn't even quote me a price on that. So i posted an ad on craigslist, got about 7 responses, interviewd them.....anyway I got me a guy and he is doing an awesome job and should be laying the paint down on it next week....then Im going to go by and just rub it all up in that guys face...nicely tho.

Palerider, sorry for hijacking your post...hope your question was answered!

Not a problem at all. On my 70 I had the body guy do new skins because of the concern on repro doors. He was doing a 69 after mine and told me that they were using repro doors and for the cost of labor - much better option do the full shells.

Now if someone can do quality fenders for $200 I'd be all set.:)

Well i can give you my story there too....I got the repop 300 pair fenders and hindsight, I would have spent the extra money for the "ford tool" fenders. They fit OK, but the gap on the topside between the fender and the cowl I can stick my finger down in....the other lines I can live with.

Well i can give you my story there too....I got the repop 300 pair fenders and hindsight, I would have spent the extra money for the "ford tool" fenders. They fit OK, but the gap on the topside between the fender and the cowl I can stick my finger down in....the other lines I can live with.

Thats pretty consistent with what I've heard on the fenders.

Thats an excellent deal if it is the Dynacorn door....I paid a little over 300 for mine after shipping...but I do see it, 212.46 right there on CJ....CJ has always been really good on their shipping. I have bought just about the same amount of stuff from MU and CJ.....MU is just down the interstate from me and I can usually have it in a couple of days, and they have a buyers club which is 25 bucks a year and saves you 5% on every order...no brainer.

Okay - if its too good to be true it probably is. Got the door today - it is not a dynacorn. Box it came in says AP. The jams are pretty wrinkled in stamping process. Dynacorn door I have is also but not as bad. W/o hanging this door I'm not to sure about fit but its clearly not Dynacorn. Both this door and Dynacorn both said made in Tawain - could be same stamping place I guess. But I would have not ordered it if I knew it wasn't a Dyncaron door. If they have an issue with me test fitting first - will send it back and get a refund.