Any help on making this "dent" look a bit better...Pic Included...

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
The pic is below...I bought it like this from the previous owner...the picture isn't the best but the ideas are welcome...I plan on getting it "professionally" done withing the next few months at a body shop...any temporary fixed that make it more "appealing"...lol. There is really no room to get under it because the gas tank and all to hammer it out...any cheap fixes to help it out...bondo...somehow pull it out :shrug:

http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17401

Thanks...David

• Sponsors (?)

5spd GT said:
The pic is below...I bought it like this from the previous owner...the picture isn't the best but the ideas are welcome...I plan on getting it "professionally" done withing the next few months at a body shop...any temporary fixed that make it more "appealing"...lol. There is really no room to get under it because the gas tank and all to hammer it out...any cheap fixes to help it out...bondo...somehow pull it out :shrug:

http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17401

Thanks...David
Sorry, but i dont think there's any "quick fix" method for that. It has some pretty sharp inward dents...surprised to see paint didnt chip (based on picture anyway). I wouldn't doubt that your rear bumper got f****ed up with it. What did he hit? or what hit him?

get a dent puller, drill some holes in it and pull it at as close as possible

sand it down to metal and apply some good 3M dent filler and just keep layering it on and let it dry FULLY until sanding until it all matches up.

pull the metal out as much as you can, you never use more than 1/8th inch of filler if you want to go by the professionals methods. Once you get it out quite a bit, get a rubber mallet or a body spoon back there and start smoothing it out.

Well I don't really mean a "quick fix" but the easier the better...I'm not for sure what he hit...he told me but I can't remember...actually I think someone hit him..I think?...

How much do dent pullers cost?...I think I can hit some of the top part out by opening up my hatch and taking out some of the panels...maybe get a board and a sledge hammer and get some of it looking a bit better...

David

Well there is no room to hammer it out...plus that metal back there is some strong stuff...I grabbed at the bottom(just trying to get an idea on how hard it was) and started "tugging" and "yanking" (6'2" and 220 lbs) and it doesn't even show a hint of budging...alls I was doing was pulling the car left and right and hearing the shocks and all squeking...lol...

did you try to push the dents out from the inside?they look to be pretty bad. one time some one backed into my old stang rite above the gas filler and a friend of mine told me to push it out with a bar and some padding and it work perfect!but it wasnt as bad though so good luck!!

Dent puller arent that much i got mine from my local paint supplier for about 80 bucks but it had a lot of other gadets with it. With a HUGE mess like yours i would push and pull that dent from the inside and outside. Then if you have a DA "dual action sander" take it down to the bare metal. Buy some good filler " i use rage evercoat really good stuff" but before you apply the filler you need to make sure the metal is totally clean. I use Virgin 190 Wax and Grease remover, you could probably also you acetone "maybe" then get some self etching primer and lighty spray the bare metal spots and filler, keep in mind you dont need a lot. Then depending on how well you want the paint job to come out, sand the etch primer with some 600grit, but dont take it down too the bare metal. After thats down use your wax and grease remover and wipe the area. Buy some filler coat primer now and spray that on with a fairly decent amount. after let it flash for a while and then sand that down with 320 or 600 "up too you" also buy either flat black or find acutal "guide coat" and spray that on the area and then sand that lightly, this will show you your high and low spots, for low spots take it down and apply more filler bondo. Now is all this really needed for a repair? No not really but i'm doing my whole 86 mustang and i've dry and wet sanded ever damn filler coat and that car is smooth as hell now so when i paint it, it should look like glass. i'm using a one step coat which means just the paint now clear "clear on dark colors make dents and other imperfections stick out worse" and the paint i'm using is 03 corvette black, because i know i have some small lil dents still. so its either do it yourself and spend about 250 bucks and have a learning experience or take it somewhere and get charged about 650. up too you.

black's definitely an awesome color for a mustang, it just may not be a good idea for a daily driver. I have a kameleon paint job on my mustang, it's blue base and 7 colors ranging from black to gold (you mostly see purple, green and blue). I recently got hit by the mailman on a snowy day, the police came...i think he was fired from the post office, he received a careless driving ticket...now i gotta go through insurance....it was such a pain in the ass to find an estimate for that car because NOBODY wanted to paint it....the estimates i did get were around 5700...JUST FOR A DOOR and a small piece of a quarter panel. I've got an all black interior so im just gonna go for black, and mine is a daily driver.....even though black shows everything, its still a hot color and will definitely match the interior...and for me, black is so much less of a hassel than carribean nite myst.