Any of you seen the new Camaro concepts floating around ?

'99 T/A

Founding Member
Mar 19, 2001
Houston, Texas
The official ( leaked ) :rlaugh: pictures can be seen at this spot .

There is another set - different car, maybe photoshopped - here.

Whaddya think ?

still be a while before it hits the streets, though.

I like the black one as it reminds me of a second gen coupled w/ an older Ferrari - the silver is nice, but the taillights just don't cut it. :nonono:

My .02 , anyway.

Britt

• Sponsors (?)

Why do you say that ?

t_chelle16 said:
That thing needs to stay a concept. IMO, they should have killed off Camaros about 30 years ago and left it dead.

-Chelle

30 years ago would have been '75 , and IMHO the second gens were some of the best looking ones made.

Interesting that all things seem to come back given enough time - the new Stang is very late 60ish in appearance, these Camaro concepts ( well, the silver one ) mimics a '69 in many ways, and there is a Challenger concept that looks like an early 70's version I like as well.

Britt

[QUOTE='99 T/A]30 years ago would have been '75 , and IMHO the second gens were some of the best looking ones made. [/QUOTE]

Doesn't that show just how bad Camaro styling has always been?:rlaugh: :rlaugh:

IMO, the only good looking Camaros were the very first('67-'69) and the very last(98+).

I disagree that the current Mustang looks like late 60s. It looks thoroughly modern to me - but obviously a descendant of the original. Like a pretty girl that looks like her grandma!!

I sill like the wider, lower, longer look of the original - and that's why I still have one.

You don't see the similarity ?

65conv50 said:
I disagree that the current Mustang looks like late 60s. It looks thoroughly modern to me - but obviously a descendant of the original. Like a pretty girl that looks like her grandma!!

I sill like the wider, lower, longer look of the original - and that's why I still have one.

Look at the nose:

guide-ford-mustang.jpeg

More here

Then, look at a new one :

mustang1big.jpg

The interior is very 69ish, also.

I like them - I see the retro cues plainly, though.

Britt

those above are the orginial ones I saw. Don't think it looks bad for a clay model, if you look at the background, thats where most new GM concepts are rolled out as claymodels in order to take company pictures of them, I'll try and find another so you know what I'm talking about and not think I'm crazy lol

1973-Aerovette-1.jpg

This is one of their concepts, the Corvette Aerovette thingy that was rear-engined or something like that, I think it was a concept in the early 70's (?) but its the same place, just thought it was intresting:)
:SNSign:

Attachments

• 1973-Aerovette-1.jpg
    1973-Aerovette-1.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 107
GM is pulling those pics from every forum they can find it on, they even pulled it from the main forum here on SN i think, i know they pulled it from pro-touring.com, the mustang source and now from LS1.com and there are other forums as well. so what you guys are seeing is the actual pre-production version that is supposed to be shown at the detroit auto show next month and yes it is the new camaro and i've heard that it will be powered by an ls2 or ls7 with possibly a blower or a turbo. this thing is headed for production people and it is supposed to be able to make the new stang non-competetive at the track, we'll see i guess.

so i'd suggest that if anyone wants to show these pics to their buddies, you'd better save them

IN my opinion, the Camaro will never be a succesful car, sales-wise. That doesn't mean it won't be a nice car, or a fast car or that it won't appeal to some buyers, I'm sure it will. In order for the Camaro to be a succesful car, it needs to meet the buyer's qualifications. First, it needs to look great, but that car looks like it was designed at "Hot Wheels". It may appeal to some but it looks horrible to me. Second it needs to pack big muscle, even if only in a "special" version like the SVT Cobras. GM will never allow the Camaro to outperform it's flagship performance car, the Corvette, yet the new Shelbys don't have that restriction and most likely will outperform both the Camaro and the Corvette. My guess is if we ever see the new Camaro, it will be a neutered car with only mild interest and it will dissapear (again) after a few years.

65conv50 said:
That first Camaro - obviously photoshopped - is UGGGGG--LEEEEE!!!

I'd never trade my Formula for one......., heck I wouldn't trade a good Honda for one!!

The second one, the black one - not bad!
:Word:

The second on is not bad at all, but the front end looks a little funny to me somehow. I really love that Challenger concept I saw the spy photos of. If they build it and it's not 35,000 and it gets as good a gas mileage as a vete, I might buy one instead of C5 when I get out of school and get a real job.

That damn thing is ugly...it looks like something from Stargate SG-1 or somthing. In my opinion they need to make more of a copy of the 69' Camaro, low and wide. And make the Z-28 the top performance model, instead of the base coup. The SS needs to be a sport model and anything below that, drop a 6cylinder in it. GM also needs to market to a younger crowd, mybe mid-20's, early 30's not the 45-50 year old men going through a mid-life crisis and wanting a car from their youth, if they wanted a car from their youth, they wouldn't buy an 01' Z-28, they would but a 67-69' Camaro...i have a 67' Camaro with a 383 in it and i love it. It's a blast to drive. Also IMHO i don't think Ford made the 05' Mustangs mean looking enough, i mean you look at a 1970 Boss 302, that is the appitamy of a real muscle car, it looks mean and fast...you look at a 05', it just doesn't convey those naughty thoughts...it looks more like an average mid-range sports car. They need to open the headlights, put on a shaker hood, rear fender vents, some different type wheels, those remind me of my ceiling fan in my bedroom. The interior on the other hand is nice, i like it alot....just my opionion though...