Any regrets going with a classic?

I DD my Fox, but have a 66 vert for sunny days... Only drawback to driving the classic is everyone wants to stop and tell you about the one they (or brother/father/sister/uncle....) had. Or on the really bad days some skanky old broad will tell you about "getting some" in the back seat... :puke:

The Fox usually gets dirty looks from old folks... :D

• Sponsors (?)

I DD my Fox, but have a 66 vert for sunny days... Only drawback to driving the classic is everyone wants to stop and tell you about the one they (or brother/father/sister/uncle....) had. Or on the really bad days some skanky old broad will tell you about "getting some" in the back seat... :puke:

The Fox usually gets dirty looks from old folks... :D

I agree. I enjoy most of the stories, but there are times when I really don't want to or don't have time to chat with people.

it looks like a slam dunk on preference. I like the new cars though. I've had a couple of Fox 5.0 cars, and they were fun to drive. I figure in time that I'll buy a 05 or later model. Ford finally got it right with the body style. Trying to prime my wife up to trade her Lexus for a 2011 GT, but it's going to take some work.

Overall, though, you can't beat the old vintage cars. They are super fun to drive, and of course, the cool factor is off the charts. As much as I like the late model Mustangs, I can't imagine choosing the new over the old if I had only 1 choice. I hope not to offend the late model owners, because as noted, I really like the late models, and figure I'll have another one some day.

I think Ford had the retro body style right from 05-09. The 2010 and 2011 just don't work for me. The front looks like a Camaro and the rear is just weird looking.

I'll be the contrarian. I had a '73 Mach 1 that I spent a lot of time and money on updating. Financial circumstances forced me to sell it a year ago, it was difficult at the time to see the car getting loaded in the car hauler,but the reality was I was barely driving it at that point. Since then I've gotten back into the car business and I'm a salesmanger at a Ford store. For a while I was contemplating a 2001 Cobra but after driving one of the new 5.0's I don't see how I could own anything else. Yes I do miss the looks of the '73 and I miss being in the car shows and the attraction the car brought. But I don't miss driving it (I had a/c, TKO 600, modern stereo, dynamat, etc...), and to me that is number one. And the new 5.0 seriously kicks ass!!! I can't wait until the Boss 302 arrives next year.

This is good info guys. I have a '95 GT that I have modded significantly, but its losing its appeal. There is a fully restored '67 practically in my backyard that I have been drooling over for a while. I think I might finally pull the trigger on it. It needs nothing, so there is no pressure, but I can add or modify as I feel like it. I dont think there is any reason to hold out anymore after reading this thread.

most of the "classic car" gearheads i know have one of each: new and old.

my daily beater / commuter / baby hauler since i bought it new is an '05 GTO with a manual transmission. bone ass stock with 400 crank hp

20 years ago I had a 67 fastback that got me through high school, it replaced my 69 coupe that I rolled...:lol: over the years I have been involved with every kind of mustang (even a mustang II). Early this year I decided to get that 1965 fastback that I wanted when I was a kid but the prices were through the roof, but I got lucky and found a deal. Now, they say " you can't go home again" and to be honest they are right. My 67 was faster, handled better and shifted with a tire chirp every morning on the way to school....but it had the exact same drive train that my current 65 has,maybe the rear end ratio was better on the 67' I don't know. The reality is my memories of that 67 are far far better than the reality, I had compleatly forgotten about the frame rust that it had even back then, and we did not have all of these cool Internet vendors shilling out ever conceivable part for our cars, back then I had to climb through poison ivy at Johnny gores junk yard to find anything that I needed.

Now that I have my fastback I really think back to my fox ragtop 5 speed car that I had a few years ago and remember how fast it was and how it handled after sprinkling it with Kenny brown performance suspension bits.

So now the plan is to find a clean unmolested early 90's fox notch with a 5 speed. I think they may be worth owning.

So what's the "better" car? I don't really know, but I do know it costs a ton less to get decent performance and handling from the newer car. I have realistic expectations of my classic car now that Im older, but I'm sure in ten years this 65 will be memories of a car that had no rattles and never made me smell like exhaust fumes at the end of the day.

The reality is my memories of that 67 are far far better than the reality,

this is my first mustang and i love it -more importantly, my two young sons love it. i have had nicer, faster, and more valuable, but i'm loving it. i sold a clean '73 corvette and bought this car and i actually like it better. actually i commuted for a many years in a '70 formula and it's a toss up whether or no i would trade to get it back? this is the first ultra low option car i have owned and there may be no way of going back. it makes me almost not enjoy the bloated rolling sofa of a daily driver i have. i'm a minimalist and hate bells & whistles. i can't wait until weekends to drive it and with some exterior paint, i would commute in it.

So now the plan is to find a clean unmolested early 90's fox notch with a 5 speed.

you and 4 billion other people....

As said before, these older cars are much easier to work on and parts are not priced too bad. Newer cars do not turn heads and get the thums up like these classics do. I am older and just not really crazy for all the compluters on the new cars. My wife drives a new Prius and I have my truck (86) and my '65 Stang. So my volt is Classic!