Any way to lower idle without a tuner?

Bigstang1

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Massachusettes
My 89 has a b-cam and 1.7 rr that i installed over the winter with crane valve springs. The springs were tired after 180k miles so i put the cam and rockers in at the same time since i got a good deal on them. Anyway, i'm having problems getting the idle where i want it. I have the idle screw almost totally closed with the tp set at .98v. and i still cant get it any lower than abo9ut 1000rpms. i had the timing at 10* and it was at about 800 which i could live with. recently i bumped base tioming to 18* (no detonation) and obviously that raised the idle. is there any way, without a pms or tweecer, to lower my idle back to about where it was? I heard somthing about a plate that goes betyween the tb and iac but cant remember what the guy said. thanks. ooo and if you could spare me the flames about a cam in a stock motor i would apprieciate it cause ive heard enough lol thanks again.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the idle screw backed all the way out, and the idle air controller unplugged and your idle is still at 1000rpm i'd check the vacuum. A leak would let more air in like an open idle air controller would... causing idle to go up.