anybody have any problem's passing visual part of inspection without smog pump???

noslow5_0

Nov 7, 2003
dallas tx.
i know my car will pass at the pipe with new cat's, but i dont have any of my smog stuff hooked up, and dont have anything left for it. i was wondering if anybody has ever had any trouble with there inspection places not passing them on a visual???? The place i've always taken my vehicle's too doesnt really do much of a visual from what i have seen.....

• Sponsors (?)

Doesn't really matter what other's have experienced; your experience at the place that inspects yours is more relevant. Remember, the smog pump provides the excess air/oxygen needed to allow the cats to do their job more effectively - those two components are designed to work together. Not to say you won't pass - but the cats work better with the pump present.

Michael Yount said:
Doesn't really matter what other's have experienced; your experience at the place that inspects yours is more relevant. Remember, the smog pump provides the excess air/oxygen needed to allow the cats to do their job more effectively - those two components are designed to work together. Not to say you won't pass - but the cats work better with the pump present.

The cats dont care about the air.

What you are doing is diluting your exhuast with fresh air to "lower" the emissions.

Old try, just like watering down your drink at the bar!

Matt90GT said:
The cats dont care about the air.

What you are doing is diluting your exhuast with fresh air to "lower" the emissions.

Maybe on pre-catalyst cars. If that were the case now, then why is there a valve to divert the air to the exhaust ports in the heads(so the air has to go through both cats) or to send it only to the rear most converters? There arent very many parts of a car that do nothing.

Matt90GT - Don't know where your theory came from, but your info isn't accurate. Catalytic converters act as catalysts to support/encourage further oxidation reactions which continue in the exhaust system -- after the initial oxidation reaction (combustion) occurs in the combustion chamber. The idea is to provide the right conditions so that harmful emissions from the initial combustion process - HC, CO and NOx can continue to react in an oxygen-rich environment and be broken down into more harmless emissions - H2O, CO2 and non-harmful oxides of nitrogen. Since most of the oxygen present in the combustion chamber gets used during combustion, more oxygen has to be introduced after the combustion chamber. That's what the air pump does. The diverter valves decide based on the computer's prodding whether to bypass the air (sometimes it's not needed), inject it into the exhaust ports at the head, or put it directly into the converter. It has absolutely nothing to do with 'diluting' the emissions.

That he does. Although I see the reasoning behind the less harmful emissions, cats hurt fuel economy. So the refinery has to make more gasoline to feed these "emission controlled" cars. Sounds like a really good deal for the oil companies. My stang got 4mpg better with the cats removed, maybe they were clogged.

"My stang got 4mpg better with the cats removed, maybe they were clogged."- a friend of mine an i just pulled his cats off of his bmw.... he said that he gained about 4 more mpg.... Another question though: when you unplug the 02's the check engine light is suppose to come on... mine dont, and it seems to run a lot richer when they are unplugged.... i thought the 02's were causing my surging since i tried everything but changing my maf sensor. my car still surges at idle, but idles better with them 02's unplugged at , but after about 5 mins. of it runnin it starts to surge again. The only thing that is left is the maf sensor, which im gonna try to change soon....

the air pump into the Hpipe allows air to merge with the CO which causes a chemical reaction creating H2O and CO2- carbon dioxide and water are much less harmfull them carbon monoxide and that is the reason for the air tube going into the H pipe

when they inspected my car they didnt even pop the hood to look for smog equipment, i put a stock h-pipe on just for inspection and i was fine with no cats, i think i might even have been able to pass emissions with no cats at all if my car wasnt so loud