Anybody know anything about ProPower?? (kinda long)

caseywan

Apr 7, 2006
Chicago, IL
I am looking into getting a 331 kit from these guys. A guy at Spec clutches said they have some really good deals on good stroker kits and referred me to a guy name Bill Devine at ProPower who I talked to for a bit.

Anyway, he says he can get me 4340 crank, 4340 H-beams, Ross forged pistons, rings, and clevite bearings for $1299 shipped.

It sounds too good to be true. So I asked what kind of crank and rods and he said they are custom forged, which was a red flag right away cause I know anyone can sell "custom forged" junk, most of the crap on eBay is "custom forged". He said they don't do Scat or Eagle anymore because of too many complaints. But their pistons are custom made by Ross. He also told me he has sold many of these kits to guys running 1000+ hp drag cars, and they are top quality.

So I email back the guy at Spec that reffered me to him and asked him a few questions, here's what he had to say about the kit.

"The crank and rods are Chinese Forgings, machined here in the US by a variety of companies. ProPower happens to have them done as well. The forgings all make their way to companies like FPS, CHP, SCAT, Probe, Callies, ProPower, etc. A bunch of different 4340 cranks are all the same chinese forgings to begin with. If they're in the $400-700 range, they're Chinese.

I got the 331 kit from ProPower. The crank is EXACTLY like a SCAT 4340. Has nice machine work and the metal is definitely quality. I've seen these go above 1000hp.

The rods are nice and have 8740 ARP cap-screws... They're not quite as nice looking as a set of Eagle H-beams I have. But the Eagles are a little heavier.
I think the rods should do well in the 800-900 range. For over 1000, I would at least buy an L19 bolt upgrade.

The King Bearings are awesome. They are used by serious racers and are great for street horsepower too.

The rings I got were upgraded to a "Hellfire" style for Turbo and Nitrous. They came straight from Ackerly & Childs; Pat Musi runs them.

I have not assembled my kit yet, but Bill told me of a racer who has used the same kit and made over 1000rwhp. Ask Bill Devine about Chris Tuten.

As long as you have a good balance and machine guy, as well as a builder who can make sure everything is correct, then you will not be disappointed. It's nice stuff."

So what do you guys think?? It's a good deal, but I don't wanna gamble with my internals, I have heard lots of bad stories about those eBay stroker kits.

• Sponsors (?)