Anyone else with oil consumption?

40th GT

Apr 7, 2004
Lawrenceville, GA
My GT just used up about 1/2 quart in 700 miles. This doesn't seem normal for an engine with 9000 miles..What I'm guilty of though, is I let a mechanic overfill the crank by 1 quart because he was going by the dipstick and not the owner's manual. That was when I wasn't aware of Ford's recall on their dipsticks. Since that incident I've always changed my own oil.

Could that have blown a main seal? When I looked at the base of my Triax, there was engine oil all over it which scares me. What are some other signs of a blown main seal? Shouldn't the clutch be slipping too? (Mine grabs hard)

• Sponsors (?)

Try putting a flattened out cardboard box under your car as soon as you get home and check it in the morning for oil.

I can't imagine how oil could make it into the shifter assembly. Wouldn't it dump out of the bell housing? If it's in the shifter assembly, your gear lube/tranny fluid has oil in it :shrug:

Bottom line is... That is IRREGULAR oil consumption. Take it to the dealer once you locate the leak.

Try putting a flattened out cardboard box under your car as soon as you get home and check it in the morning for oil.

I can't imagine how oil could make it into the shifter assembly. Wouldn't it dump out of the bell housing? If it's in the shifter assembly, your gear lube/tranny fluid has oil in it :shrug:

Bottom line is... That is IRREGULAR oil consumption. Take it to the dealer once you locate the leak and never mention anything to do with overfilling or anything!

40th GT said:
My GT just used up about 1/2 quart in 700 miles. This doesn't seem normal for an engine with 9000 miles..What I'm guilty of though, is I let a mechanic overfill the crank by 1 quart because he was going by the dipstick and not the owner's manual. That was when I wasn't aware of Ford's recall on their dipsticks. Since that incident I've always changed my own oil.

Could that have blown a main seal? When I looked at the base of my Triax, there was engine oil all over it which scares me. What are some other signs of a blown main seal? Shouldn't the clutch be slipping too? (Mine grabs hard)

asper FoMoCo: a quart of oil used between 800 and 1000 miles is considered normal.

What kind of oil are you using? I have been running mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and I loose at least one quarts per oil change, sometimes as much as 1 1/2 quarts. I was then told by a mechanic that synthetics have lower burn temps and that was why I was burning so much oil. I always thought synthetics had higher burn temps but I have decided to just switch back to either castrol gtx or maybe the synthetic blend with my next oil change and see what happens...

I've got 48,000 miles on my GT. Never added oil between oil changes. I change my oil every 3-5k. Now every 3 since the S/C install and use only synthetic.

But I never add oil.

On a typical Friday, I drive 350 miles to spend the weekend with my fiance and drive 350 home, back to Tampa. That's 700 miles. My oil is still good for 2300 miles till my change, and I won't even bother checking it.

40th GT said:

How maney quarts did he put? Just curious??

stng said:
I was then told by a mechanic that synthetics have lower burn temps and that was why I was burning so much oil. I always thought synthetics had higher burn temps but I have decided to just switch back to either castrol gtx or maybe the synthetic blend with my next oil change and see what happens...

Synthetics are more stable due to their purity, thus they don't crack as easy and don't have as many light distillates (short chain hydrocarbons) that get consumed at lower temps. However, they are not as viscous and can get past gaskets and piston rings easier than dino oils. My Expedition was consuming about 4-5 quarts in-between changes. I switched to synthetic and now it only losses about a quart every 5K miles. :nice:

I've read on this site that you should wait 10k miles before switching to synthetic so that the rings can wear properly first.

Oil on the base of the Triax...hmm...are you sure its not just dirty Tranny fluid? Have you checked the base bolts of the shifter did you use forma gasket or a supplied gasket on the shifter? If it is motor oil make sure you put your original shifter on before bringing it to them.

Take it to the dealer just to be on the safe side and get it documented at least.

Fast02 said:
I've read on this site that you should wait 10k miles before switching to synthetic so that the rings can wear properly first.

Oil on the base of the Triax...hmm...are you sure its not just dirty Tranny fluid? Have you checked the base bolts of the shifter did you use forma gasket or a supplied gasket on the shifter? If it is motor oil make sure you put your original shifter on before bringing it to them.

Take it to the dealer just to be on the safe side and get it documented at least.

Good point. I'd also not mention the oil looking substance in the shifter assembly to them. That HAS to be that color because of a broken down form-a-gasket goo. Oil can't make it there and you shouldn't even mention that. But the oil consumption is bell housing forward. So they probably wouldn't even check into the gearbox.

Fast02 said:

Well I was thinking it was motor oil because it had that yellowish brown color of motor oil. Tranny fluid is dark red right? And yes, I've always had a shifter gasket installed.

According to Mobil1, the 10k mile rule is a myth. High-end cars come factory-filled with Mobil1 and I seriously doubt that their manufacturers run their engines to what's equivalent to 10k miles on dino oil.

stng said:
What kind of oil are you using? I have been running mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and I loose at least one quarts per oil change, sometimes as much as 1 1/2 quarts. I was then told by a mechanic that synthetics have lower burn temps and that was why I was burning so much oil. I always thought synthetics had higher burn temps but I have decided to just switch back to either castrol gtx or maybe the synthetic blend with my next oil change and see what happens...
Mobil1 5w-20 here. I'm using the weight that the owner's manual suggests, and I always have been.

Synthetics definitely have a higher flash point than conventionals, so no, that's not the main cause of my oil consumption.

My opinion on the whole synthetic vs dino is that companies who sell more dino oil than they do synthetic will say synthetic will do all kinds of stuff. If they have some synthetic products, they will probably make a recommendation that you use it for some time then switch. If they are all synthetic they will probably tell you to start with synthetic and end with it.

Believe who you will.