anyone ever change a serp belt on late model Cobra?

Gotta new polished alternator coming and I'm going to put it on myself. What's the best way to release the belt tensioner? Someone told me to use a breaker bar, but with the blower in the way, not sure this would work. Anyone done this before?? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

SJ Cobra said:
Gotta new polished alternator coming and I'm going to put it on myself. What's the best way to release the belt tensioner? Someone told me to use a breaker bar, but with the blower in the way, not sure this would work. Anyone done this before?? :shrug:

I use to just use a huge screwdriver - pushing it downward till its loose enough, then pulling it off. Take careful note of the way it winds around - it can be confusing!

peace

I used my 1/2 inch torque wrench

put it in the tensioner and then push it clock wise to release the tension.. It was extra tricky for me because I had never changed a belt before and my old belt was in a million pieces all over the track...i found a diagram on the net...since there is no diagram under the hood or in the manual F FORD

then tonight i tried to get my speedo cluster out of the dash to replace the clear plastic piece. For some reason i got all the screws out all four but the cluster would not come out. The wires arent long enough. I guessing ford made it harder to take out because people were driving around without a cluster to not have miles on their car???? i should make this a thread

Miklowcic said:
I used my 1/2 inch torque wrench

put it in the tensioner and then push it clock wise to release the tension.. It was extra tricky for me because I had never changed a belt before and my old belt was in a million pieces all over the track...i found a diagram on the net...since there is no diagram under the hood or in the manual F FORD
I have a sticker under my hood of my 98 thats shows how to route the belt. :shrug: