Anyone have Smoke or Clear LX Tail light Lens?

Does anyone have Smoke or Clear taillight lenses on their Mustang? Most online stores advertise these tail lights. But next to these products it says "For off-road use only" What does this mean? They're not good for using on normal street driving? Or are cops just are picky about tail light lenses? Why would stores advertise these lenses for "off-road use only"? Any information would be helpful since I am looking into buying the smoke type.... they look sweeeet.

• Sponsors (?)

they are illegal to drive around on the street.

i did a post about 3-4 months ago for pics of smoke tail lights, i got some cool pics on the post. search my name and you will see the post, some very cool pics.

i dont know about National but here in Texas and i am pretty sure in the whole US you are required to have RED rear reflectors and your taillights have to illuminate RED not pink or anything. Other than that you should be cool. Theres a way to get the red bulbs but to get a true red through clear housings, get LEDs but the only problem is the red reflectors.

I had a set sprayed with NightShades Spray Tint.....you spray the inside surface of the lenses. I kinda got sick of them so i got a new set of "stock" lx lenses from the wrecker for 20 bux.

rearend.jpg

I dont think the cops really care it's just when you get your car inspected.
Cause my friend has clear corners on his car and they made him put the stock ones in to pass inspection.

TriGun said:
At night they are perfect. You cannot even tell they are different than stock.
0717719r102611a_copy.jpg

you can tell they are not stock... the reflective part of the lens reflects white, not red. as stated before, they need to have red reflectors to be dot legal.

johnt785 - i went with the nightshades spray tint myself, but i sprayed the outside, not the inside of the lens like mahfiveoh. imo, i think they look better than a clear or smoke lens.

btw... this is a crappy cell phone pic, but the tinting is consistant accross the lens, unlike what it seems in the picture :rolleyes:

tintedtails.jpg

I will probably go with the smoke lenses. Inless I can find out more about this nightshade spray tint. How much does that spray tint stuff cost? Does it make the Lx lenses darker than the Smoke lenses? I looks like from the pictures above that the spray tinted tail lights look darker than the Smoke tail lights.

I would only get clear tail lights if I had a white or grey stang. So don't worry about me getting them 89lxsport50.

TriGun said:
I have smoked ones. During the day, it is a little bit hard to see. At night they are perfect. You cannot even tell they are different than stock. You need to get red bulbs for sure. I like them, and I only drive my car a few times a month. Never been messed with by the cops, and I have had them behind me before.

0717719r102611a_copy.jpg

0717719r102410a_copy.jpg

What color paint is that??

Black 93 Fox

johnt785 said:
I will probably go with the smoke lenses. Inless I can find out more about this nightshade spray tint. How much does that spray tint stuff cost? Does it make the Lx lenses darker than the Smoke lenses? I looks like from the pictures above that the spray tinted tail lights look darker than the Smoke tail lights.

I would only get clear tail lights if I had a white or grey stang. So don't worry about me getting them 89lxsport50.
the can of nite shades is $11.95 (or thereabouts at summit). depending on how much you tint, depends on how dark they are. on mine, i think i did two coats, and still had half the can left. during the day, mine look dark, just a hint of red coming thru, unless, it is in direct sunlight, then you will see more of the red reflecting through. at night with the lights off, they look black...with the lights on, they look normal (untinted).