Anyone install Lexan windows?

buff531

Founding Member
May 11, 2000
Hanover Park, IL
Hey all my mustang got broken into the other day. i was thinking of replacing the drivers and passenger side window with lexan material which is hella stronger and hella lighter than original auto glass.

has anyone ever done this before? can it be shapped into the shape of my window? would i be able to roll windows up and down? please let me know i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

There are many problems with Lexan and polycarbonate windows in a street vehicle.

1. These materials will scratch relatively easily and with time, visability becomes an issue.
2. These materials will not shatter like glass, which seems like a desireable attribute, until you get in an accident and can't get out of the car or people can't get you out.
3. Because these materials flex, you have to be careful where you put these materials, as most unibody chassis vehicles are engineered to utilize the stiff glass to strenthen the chassis. For example, a windshield would not be a good place to use this material in a street car.

Lexan and polycarbonate are excellent materials for the race-only vehicle with a full cage, but I would not recommend this on a street vehicle. Besides, I do not believe windows of this material are street legal. I am not sure what the bullet-proof window specs are on some of these "special service" vehicles that tote around these VIPs, but perhaps there might be some info elsewhere on the net.