Anyone running a 393 or 408?

• Sponsors (?)

i'm in the process right now also. I think in 6 months their will be a lot of us with 351w rolling. The problem that i have with the engine manufacturers is they use retro-fit lifters, they just convert a non-roller block

I have been weighing the options:
Keith Craft: 5695+shipping

351 sportsman=1200
AFR 185s=1500/with upgraded springs
Stroker kit=1200-1400
Intake=400/bought a used 351 Trickflow of Ebay
Custom Cam=300
***4750****
Now granted you have to by a ARP bolt kit, roller rockers, oil pan, and a lot of little things but this gives you a solid sportsman foundation, a custom cam to fit your needs and a good stroker kit.

just my .02 cents

nathan

The Keith Craft does have the oil pump, oil pan and all that. Plus it's balanced, blueprinted and assembled. I still have some thinking to do. Not like this is my daily driver and need to have everything done right away.

95StocK50 said:
With the prices I listed above you have around a 1000 dollars to finish the motor and you have a sportsman block.. I don't know.. I'm still trying to decide what to do myself also.
nathan
Remember, it's not just a plug and play deal. You can't just torque down the main caps and call it a day once you dropped the assembly in. Bearing clearances need to be checked with (in some cases) very elaborate tools. Shortblocks are the way to go. He's just going to extra step and having the whole thing assembled.

Vib - any specific reason for the 185's and not the 205's? Those 185's are going to be maxed out. If you put 205's on with the right cam and manifold, you could see another 100 horsepower. At the cost of.....what? :rolleyes:

Joe

This is depressing for me Joe.
depressed.jpg

Your having a similar combo as me was good for my learning stuff from you. I feel "all alone" now here with my car. Roger got the Cobra, You with your 408, and Javi with his turbo (God knows WHEN that will be done). It's just down to Jose and myself.

You gotta do what you gotta do though. Have you looked into having a local shop build one? It is supposed to be less $$$. I put a post on TCH and they came up with a few good shops that they recommended. Rog.. I wouldnt ask that dude youre referring to. He is not the friendliest guy out there.

What about the Eddy engines you referred to?

RC

very true, I'm not saying that i'm going to just throw this together myself. In which case its going to cost you some money for someone to put it together. I haven't made up my mind either of what i'm going to do but just throwing another option out there.

nathan.

Sorry to hear about that Joe. You were the one that got me hooked on the blower by the way your whined. Im sure that 408 is going to be a beast. I was planning along with a friend to build a 408 just for drag, but it aint going to happen. The guys on the corral 5.0/5.8 section know about big inch fords, check them out.

Check your PM