anyone running a carbed 5.0 with a TFS#1 cam?

maxine1970

Mar 16, 2004
louisville KY
I got the 86 GT running and driving today. Its got a new 96 explorer 5.0 with a Trick FLow stage one cam, a weiand stealth intake and a 600cfm vac secondary carb, ,duraspark distributor with GM HEI module running it and stock 86 EFI type coil. I have the plugs gapped at .048-.050, carb floats and mixture is adjusted properly, timing is set at 12 degrees. It is still running a bit rich and wants to slightly surge under 2000rpm. THe power band starts strong at 1500 and continues well beyond.
My question is in the carb. Its a stock 1850 Holley manual choke carb. I had osmeone tell me roller cams respond differently to carbs than flat tappet cams and I need a different rate power valve. Anyone know which one I should start with to try? Any other suggestions? I want the surging and rich running gone. I am betting its in the carb, but it may have something to do with the plug gapping too. I wasnt sure whether to gap them at .035 like the distributor and HEI module would use, or the .048-.052 the coil uses.
Thanks!

Doug

• Sponsors (?)

Just gap it for a factory roller 302. also, did you try jetting the carb differently. The power valve is affected by vacuum signal. Everything equal, a flat tappet and a roller with the same duration and lift should give close to the same idle vacuum. The TFS stage 1 and E-cam dont have much duration and so they are very streetable and provide good vacuum. Is the power valve even good?

well if it's a 8:5 - 9:1 motor i would gap them on 42-45 and use a 4.5 power valve i'm running the same cam and intake and they work great you need a 650 dp holley and you will feel a big difference ! and turn the timing up to about 14 and try it if it pings turn it down .