Anyone running a fiberglass hatch.

• Sponsors (?)

Im pretty sure there was a thread a while back about this. The hatch definately doe keep it in place a bit. My car had some flex and the hatch sits over like a Millimeter or 2. Im willing to bet because the hatch is bolted to the top and connects to the rear bottom that it does stiffen it a bit.

Don Fiveolio said:
Also keep inmind that you are in a postion where the car flexes too much, it could crack.

Exactly. I would just go ahead and get another steel one. As far as strengthening the car, keep in mind that when it is closed and latched it becomes a rigid connection to the body. It definitely helps keep the rigidity in the car.

I highly doubt it would cause any flex or cracking problem. Many racers run fiberglass hatches. That's like saying your fiberglass hood is killing chassis stiffness. IT's connected the same way your hatch is. Two hard mounts, and one latch.

I also have a little rust :)( :( :() on my hatch on the underside, and also looking to get a fiberglass one to keep the rust from ever happening again. I'd like to know from those with EXPERIANCE and not here say or rumor. :rolleyes:

PoopDawg said:
I highly doubt it would cause any flex or cracking problem. Many racers run fiberglass hatches. That's like saying your fiberglass hood is killing chassis stiffness. IT's connected the same way your hatch is. Two hard mounts, and one latch.

I also have a little rust :)( :( :() on my hatch on the underside, and also looking to get a fiberglass one to keep the rust from ever happening again. I'd like to know from those with EXPERIANCE and not here say or rumor. :rolleyes:
Many racers who have fiberglass hatches have a cage installed.. Also how often does the front of the car flex when you launch hard? The hatch also weighs about 30lbs more then a hood. And the connection to the hatch-body are alot stronger then the hood - body

PoopDawg said:

Exactly why im looking for one, dont want to have to worry about rust again. The weight savings is just an added bonus. I really want to hear from someone who has one. My car is mainly a street car so I hope it wouldnt flex enough to cause any problems.

PoopDawg said:
I'd like to know from those with EXPERIANCE and not here say or rumor. :rolleyes:

Woodrow said:
if its not an all out trailer car dont worry about a fiberglass hatch they are nothing but problems...

Most of the hatches that are on the market are as the mfg calls "race weight". They are flimsy, don’t fit worth a damn and most require you to run a lexan window. What happens when you get dirt on lexan…..scratches. Like I said they are nothing but problems or at least the one we had was.

I'll see if I can find some old pics of the fitment issues, if they are still on my old computer after the crash.