Anyone running a Serpentine Belt???

• Sponsors (?)

Serpentine belts have a wider grip on the pulley, and they don't slip nearly as bad as some of the old V belts. The up side is, you only have one belt to deal with, and the before mentioned slippage factor. The downside is that if you lose that one belt, you've lost all your accessories.

I am running the March performance serpentine system, with a reverse rotation water pump, and a 5.0 power steering pump.

Sorry I don't have any pics right now either.

If you are only running an alternator, you can use the wider serpentine with a standard rotation water pump. If you also have power steering you will need the reverse rotation. Edelbrock makes a nice water pump for either case.

usetobe 67P51d has the serpentine alternator only setup on his 347.

Route666 said:
They have a standard rotation kit for motors with everything. I looked last week.

EDIT: And it uses two belts.

http://www.marchperf.com/pg55.html

Whoa! $850 for a 4-accessory setup?

I used their kit as well for the electric water pump on my 351. Very nice bit of kit but still cost me ~$300 for a few small bits of metal. Then I found out that my Motorsport SFI balancer was too short and needed an $80 spacer. $80 for a ~1 inch aluminum cylinder with holes drilled in it? Sheesh!

i have just the alt,crank,waterpump set up with serp. my belt runs from the crank to the left side of the waterpump to the alt and back down to the crank. there is only one side rubbing the water pump about 2" in the belt and it works great.

i'll take pic for you! give about an hour.

With the late serpentine timing cover installed, you can run the Explorer 5.0L serpentine belt system including rr-water pump harmonic, pulleys and accessories. You can buy a/c idler and p/s idler replacements for a/c and power steering if you don't have these items on your car. Ford Racing makes the a/c idler replacement and I believe Cobra Automotive makes the p/s idler replacement.

I am currently running the setup from the 87-92ish Ford F150s. It WILL work on a 351 or 302 and gives you the ability to go back and forth if you want. The old 60s alternator will work just fine or you can rewire to the more current alt from the pickup. These trucks are laying all over salvage yards and I got my brackets for less than 1$ each. You must have an A/C pump or A/C delete idler on this setup, or it will not work on a Mustang. I did it because I wanted a 351 in my Mustang and the pulleys didnt line up. Serpentine belts are simple and straightforward. If there was no benefit, EVERY SINGLE AUTO MAKER WOULDNT USE THEM!! V-belts are outdated.
As far as the water pump, you must use a reverse rotation whenever the belt lays on its back to go over the pump. If you can find an LTD or something with one of the first serp setups, you will find a standard rotation pump, but personally, I really like the F150 setup. Be sure to get a reverse rotation flex fan too. $30 for the pump, $25 for the fan at the auto parts store. The pump will require a driver's side hose like all the late model Fords. I still use the stock radiator and i have a flex hose and a metal elbow to get the water into the motor.

I am using the 86-93 setup, edelbrock reverse rotation water pump. Sorry best pic i have here.
100_0213.JPG

Wow!!! wealth of knowledge out here!!! I got pulleys from one of my mustangs left over. All I have is alternator, water pump and crank to deal with.... I also have a tensioner off one of my car left over,,, Now I just need to know which water pump do I need to use with the old style timing cover...

i used a newer style alt bracket and cut the top off (see above pics)-you can use an old style alternator and put the new pully on it with an impact gun, the water pump you could get from an 88-93 mustang which are all reverse rotation and are stock aluminum water pumps!

347Fastback said:
Wow!!! wealth of knowledge out here!!! I got pulleys from one of my mustangs left over. All I have is alternator, water pump and crank to deal with.... I also have a tensioner off one of my car left over,,, Now I just need to know which water pump do I need to use with the old style timing cover...

I got my setup mostly from an ?84 5.0 LTD. (small fox bodied LTD). That car has the same tensioners as the 90 Mustangs did and had a carb. The timing cover was the old style with the dipstick hole and was the exact cover I had on my 351. So I just bought a 90 Mustang waterpump and it works fine with my old cover. Don't forget about getting the adapter for the new style p/s pump if you need it. Make sure your balancer is the correct one for the engine as well as the serpentine setup- otherwise the belt will not line up and\or the engine will be out of balance.