Anyone test driven an '05? +my review of 6

Hack

15 Year Member
Mar 23, 2004
Minneapolis
Anyone test driven an '05? +my review of 6 cyl

I went to a local dealership yesterday. They didn't have any GTs, and they also told me they won't let people test drive the GT unless they get a commitment. :bs: The salesman is going to call me when they get a GT in.

I got talked into driving a 6 cylinder (automatic :nonono: ). There's a lot to like about it. I took a couple really hard corners and it handles great. It has decent power. I couldn't push it too hard since the salesman was with me

I really like the construction of it. Very solid. The exhaust even sounded quite good.

The trunk is really big! The rear fold down seats probably don't add a lot of space, but the trunk itself surprised me.

I did think the seating position was too high. I adjusted it all the way down, but still a little high for me. I'm a tall guy (6'4"), but it seemed higher than necessary. The buckets were good, but I would have liked to have more lateral support in a sporty car. The seat didn't "grip" me as much as I would have liked.

I wish there was a provision for adjusting the steering wheel away from the dash. When I had the seat right for my legs, the wheel was too far away from me. Most cars are this way for me, I guess they can't fit everyone.

Anyone else drive an '05 yet? What do you think?

• Sponsors (?)

OK - here's my review(s).

I test drove an auto GT first (bought it later that day). It is mineral grey, with the premium package interior stuff. Shaker 500 radio. I'm impressed with the power (and I have a supercharged 96 cobra - see below). Power seems to come up well around 2500 rpm and holds right up till 5500 or 6000. The exhaust tone is also wonderful. At highway speed, it seems to go away, but around town it growls well, and roars to life when you really step on it. It also is a different quality of tone than earlier Ford modulars. This one seems to have more of a burble than earlier years. Whether this is due to exhaust tuning or engine dynamics I don't know. The auto tranny also seemed to be well-suited to this engine. The shifts are firm, but not enough to make me worry. The interior is VERY nice on these new cars - a major step forward, both in layout and fit/finish. I also was very impressed with the handling - not much to complain about at all.

Next, I test drove a manual GT (my dad later bought it). Again, power is great, got a good SOLID scream out of the tires going into second (on the test drive even, with the salesman sitting in the backseat :nice: ) The manual transmission is a BIG step up from previous transmissions. I have a B-W T45 in the cobra, and have driven T56s as well. This new transmission is very smooth, with quick, short shifts, and a well-placed shifter (FINALLY!). Interior noise from the driveline is minimal, which is also a change (at least from my cobra).

Overall, the new mustangs are much more refined, but with "more grunt when you want". I really enjoyed both the auto and manual versions of the GT.

I went by my dealer a couple weeks ago to check on my order of a windviel blue gt and they told me of the delay because of the interior option parts but they had a white gt auto they had just gotten in. It didn't take long for me to become it's new owner after I drove it. It has plenty of power and I was impressed with the way the auto shifts under power. If I had wanted a big car I would have bought a statio wagon, This car is the best little hot rod for the price I have found. My wifes even happy now that I bought the auto trans :shrug:

I drove one tonight and it really impressed me. It really takes of around 3000 and climbs fast. Car sounds awesome when you really stomp on it too. The stereo is awesome...I think theres 2 subs in the trunk because there was a big box w/ 2 speakers...I dk I was too busy payin attention to gettin in the car and rippin it. The shifter is sweet, Dash has a purplish accent but doesnt look too bad, overall Id have to say Id easily buy one.