Anyone use cat-back with Vortex mufflers?

89lx5o

Apr 10, 2004
I manage a local auto parts store and we sell Maremont exhaust products. I buy everything at cost so I get good deals on my parts. Maremont has a cat-back system for 5.0 Mustangs in 2.5 inch with the stainless tips for my LX that I can get a hell of a deal on. The system comes with Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers. They look alot like Flowmasters or Macs but I have never heard them. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

There are several different mufflers all with different construction. I spent about 2 hrs. at the Maremont Tech center and manufacturing plant down in Loudon, TN last week. There are 2 versions of the Vortex - the V-baffle and Vortex classic. The internal construction is entirely different - the V-baffle has internal sound wave deflectors a la Flow Master; the Classic has perforation and packing. They also sell the Cherry Bomb Turbo and the Cherry Bomb Turbo II. I have no idea what any of them sound like -- still trying to find someone that has the system so I can hear it live. I'm leaning towards the Vortex Classics.

Thanks for the replys guys. I think the ones I ordered are the Vortex classics. They are the ones that were listed in my catalog with the rest of the system. I did notice however on the Maremont website that the ones on there are a different part number, probably the new version you were speaking of. I will let you guys know what it sounds like when I get it installed.

Somehow I ended up on Vortexs website the other day. And I listened to a sound clip and it sounded pretty good. I looked at there LX Catback but I didnt see a price. Does anyone know a price of their catback with the Vortex mufflers with the V baffles in em? Thanks

Dave

My system came in today. I got the Vortex classics with it. It looks really good, the mufflers look alot like Flows. I will let you guys know what it sounds like when I get it installed. Greenlx, I can get you a rough idea on a price on Monday.
Sorry GreenGT, I knew you were looking for a system for a LX and I mis-spoke your name.

Powershift - do you know if they were the Vortex Classics or the Vortex V-baffles? Why did they consider them garbage? Not questioning you/their judgement - just trying to understand what they didn't like about them. There's so much subjectivity for all of us when it comes to exhaust sound/volume/quality. For example, if simply not being happy with the volume and sound quality is the criteria, then I'd have to say that my FlowMaster and my ($225 - Ouch!) custom Bassani were garbage too.

I personally think they sound like $hit. Always have, always will. But those V baffle mufflers on their website sounded nice. I heard a muffler at the track last night that sounded pretty good too. Raven I think it was, or something similar. Sounded pretty smooth and not to loud.:nice:

Dave

Powershift- Do you know which version it was that your friend had? These mufflers aren't exactly what I would call dirt cheap, at my cost they are still right around 50.00 each. The construction of them seems good and they are quite heavy, but none of that means anything until I hear 'em. What did your friends car sound like with them? Thanks.

89lx- I'm with you - I believe the V-baffle are the less expensive line of mufflers. The Vortex Classic appears to me like it would cost more to manufacture - kind of a combination of reflective and perforation/packing technology to attenuate the sound waves. But I haven't seen prices on the stuff yet.