Anyone using Air Ride suspension?

shelby69

Mar 19, 2002
allentown
I am concidering saving up some money and putting Air Ride suspension on my 69. From what I have read, and seen on tv, it really improves the cornering. I am kicking around using the car for a little light autocrossing. Thought it would be nice for a classic Mustang to be in the mix with all the Subaru's and Honda's.
Just wondering if anyone was using Air Ride on there car. I searched but, didn't find much here.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

they talk about it some on protouring.com . thats the way im going on my 70. and i will definately need to save up 3000 just for the suspension and bags no compressor lines or valves. should be worth it for the ride, handling and looks when parked all with one car.

oh and every one says the double adjustable shocks are a must if you want it to handle.

matt

I put two of their airbags on the rear of my 01 cherokee to help with hauling and my god I love them! I'm disappointed I already redid the suspension on my 66 or else I'd have the whole thing set up with air ride. The ride has improved a great deal and they really do help out with the cornering. Go for it and take pictures so the rest of us can follow along.

I never thought I would be remotley interested in air ride suspension systems but it has come a long way. If I ever just go to a street car it will be bagged with Air Ride technologies stuff. I talked to another 65-66 owner at a show that had it and he absolutley raved about it. A good friend of mine bagged his 67 C-10 Chevy truck and the ride improvement was beyond description, that old truck went from being a real handful to drive to being a decent cornering machine with perfect highway manners.....

I would love to hear about someone in here doing the install and seeing the results.

I would like to be able to drive a car with air springs. The physics are backwards from what one would appear to need: as you lower the car, the springs are softer, and that's when they need to be stiffer. Conversely, when they are set higher up, you want a softer ride. Just not sure if this really translates into the kind of handling characteristics I want.

I just watched the Horse Power TV episode with the Air Ride street shoot out on it. They showed stock suspension vehicles and the similar vehicle with Air Ride suspension. The "bagged" ones stuck where the stocker spun out. I'd be interested in actually riding in a vehicle with bags to see what it would be that I was getting for that huge price.

I would like to be able to drive a car with air springs. The physics are backwards from what one would appear to need: as you lower the car, the springs are softer, and that's when they need to be stiffer. Conversely, when they are set higher up, you want a softer ride. Just not sure if this really translates into the kind of handling characteristics I want.

That's kinda the way I saw it before. So you just set it up for optimal performance at a single desired ride height. You can only adjust your alignment optimally for one ride height anyway. You should be able to find an acceptable set-up using dual adjustable shocks.

But yeah, you won't be able to from Cadillac cushy to all out performance just by hitting the switches from your seat. You'll have to get out and do some shock adjustments at the track. And if you're doing that, maybe you'll be changing out the tires anyway.

A good friend of mine bagged his 67 C-10 Chevy truck ,,,.

Bags are going into all for corners of my 67 C-10 this summer :D. Though it will most be a a static set-up, I'll only air up the rear to adjust for load when needed.

I also considered the air bar system for my 67. It all depends what you want to use your car for. If I knew I would be road racing of any kind, I would probably think about one of the several 3-link kits out. I realize this thread was about air ride but thought I would throw that out there. I have a 69 that will probably see a air bar eventually.

I just watched the Horse Power TV episode with the Air Ride street shoot out on it. They showed stock suspension vehicles and the similar vehicle with Air Ride suspension. The "bagged" ones stuck where the stocker spun out. I'd be interested in actually riding in a vehicle with bags to see what it would be that I was getting for that huge price.

I saw that too. And I thought they should've compared the bagged set-ups to stock type suspensions with upgraded springs and shocks.

Alot of the expense is in the air management system which isn't really necessary. You can run your bags at a static ride height.