Anyone with a lift in their garage?

ScortLX

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2001
Parker, Colorado
Hey! I've already convinced the fiance that I'm getting a lift in my garage when we buy a house and I wanted to know if anyone on here has one at all? I've seen several and they really aren't that expensive. Just wondering if anyone here has one or has pictures of one in a half-way normal garage setting? :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't have one (yet) but a friend does. You really gotta have a high ceiling if you wanna be able to fully walk under the car. My buddy had 9ft, but the lift itself was 9'4" so he had to notch the ceiling and cars can only go up high enough to sit under when on a chair (fine for most stuff). He's planning on doming the ceiling to get another 3-4ft outa it.

Another thing is you have to have a solid concrete base, most lifts require 4"+ in thickness. You can get away with a thinner base if you cut and dig a hole and fill it with concrete for a good base (we did this when installing some lifts at my last job, was a pain in the ass digging a 1'x1'x4' hole lol).

I have a scissor lift in my garage from a past adventure into German metal. It's not going to be nearly as handy as it was with a transverse setup but it'll still be useful.

IMG_3395-vi.jpg

IMG_3392-vi.jpg

Hopefully it'll still be an asset when I install the PI cams and intake along with the Vortech S/C.

T

Attachments

• IMG_3395-vi.jpg
    IMG_3395-vi.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3392-vi.jpg
    IMG_3392-vi.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 66
My GF's dad has two story garage with the bottom having two huge fire station bay doors. Has two lifts, used it once an awhile. Miss it now that im in San Diego:(
Think these are the only pictures i have, from when i built up and re-installed the tranny
transmission2qm5.jpg
nicetread.jpg

Me doing to Robot (cuz my GF called me machine for working all day)
robot.jpg

Attachments

• transmission2qm5.jpg
    transmission2qm5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 51
  • nicetread.jpg
    nicetread.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 65
  • robot.jpg
    robot.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 80
Those are great examples! I'd love the second one for sure. I want one that will allow me to work on the underside of the car. That first one looks great but it is a solid piece and you can't get at the bottom of the top car. It would have fun to have any of them though! :nice:

It seems like the fork-on-frame type would def be the easiest to do a bunch of work on, but I would need the lift to also store the Mustang on during the winter and park the second car under the lift in the garage. If I'm lucky enough to gte a three car garage, it really wouldn't matter then, but if I get a two-car then I need to be able to park the Mustang on top and another car underneath for a long period of time.

It seems like the fork-on-frame type would def be the easiest to do a bunch of work on, but I would need the lift to also store the Mustang on during the winter and park the second car under the lift in the garage. If I'm lucky enough to gte a three car garage, it really wouldn't matter then, but if I get a two-car then I need to be able to park the Mustang on top and another car underneath for a long period of time.

it's not recommend to leave cars on those types of lifts even though it can be safe, it's better to have the car's weight on the tires where it's used to being and is stable than on the frame. Looks like your going to need a tall garage and a drive on lift

I feel the house pain, although my situation is backwards. I had a house with a 23'x23' garage. Now live in an apartment with all my tools stuffed in a storage unit 8 miles down the road. Cannot even change my own oil anymore without turning it into a huge production.