AOD buildup

• Sponsors (?)

I just built one for my wife's '87. Depending on the year of the trans, it'll have cast iron or stamped steel drums depending on the year. My trans is an '89 so it had cast drums but they used a stamped steel forward clutch in it. 1990 up used stamped steel drums. Here's a list of mods I made to it to make it take some abuse.

-Upgraded direct clutch to stamped steel and used an Alto 8 friction clutch pack in it. (the direct clutch has the most stress of all clutch packs - the stamped steel drums will take more abuse on the splines for the lock-up shaft)

- New one-way-clutches and used a spiral snap ring on the intermediate one-way-clutch (the stock snap rings are known to fly off which I found the case with mine when disassembled.)

- Forward clutch (stamped steel) - used 5 friction Alto clutch pack

- Reverse clutch - stock repl. alto browns

- Replaced all piston seals in clutches (*Need to buy seal installers - about $80.00)

- Red Eagle Overdrive band

- A+ Super Servo by Fairbanks (33 percent more holding power than stock)

- Sonnax boost valve and throttle valve.

- Zero leak 2-3 accumulator (stock for replacement for '97)

- Hardened lock-up shaft

- Edge Mild Street Convertor

- Transgo shift kit (if you're building for racing you may want to look at Lentech valve bodies or PA.)

I have probably about $1000.00 in it counting the Convertor but it should hold up well and shifts great.

New one-way-clutches and used a spiral snap ring on the intermediate one-way-clutch (the stock snap rings are known to fly off which I found the case with mine when disassembled.)

Be sure and get the spiral snap ring!!!! I found out the hard way last summer about that. My snap(C shaped) didn't hold and made a mess in my tranny. Had to replace the mechnical doide along with rebuild. When the stock ring let go, the diode came forward and would hold 2nd and 3rd at the same time when the tranny would try and shift into 3rd. But 1st and 2nd seemed normal. Just when it would want to shift into 3rd, to car would about come to a stop. And when the diode slid forward into the back of the pump it, messed up the pump and craked the dioed. But when it first happened, I though some trash got in the VB so I did a service and took the VB apart and cleaned it. And when that didn't solve the problem I got frustated and nailed it when, and the 8#'s of boost didn't help the matter any. :rolleyes: So when I took apart the trans low-n-behold that little $4 ring cost a tranny rebuild. And the new updated spiral is only like $7-$8 ..

Here is a pretty good place, AOD parts & supplies.... ,, to get parts from and plus see what. Built my buddies AOD with parts from these guys and everything was quality products and service.

where can I get that?
i.e: will a Ford parts dept. carry it? Autozone/Napa type stores? or is it a specialty store product?
I guess I'm basically asking if there's a place I can pick one up today in person before the work gets done tomorrow.

EMW150 said:
I just built one for my wife's '87. Depending on the year of the trans, it'll have cast iron or stamped steel drums depending on the year. My trans is an '89 so it had cast drums but they used a stamped steel forward clutch in it. 1990 up used stamped steel drums. Here's a list of mods I made to it to make it take some abuse.

-Upgraded direct clutch to stamped steel and used an Alto 8 friction clutch pack in it. (the direct clutch has the most stress of all clutch packs - the stamped steel drums will take more abuse on the splines for the lock-up shaft)

- New one-way-clutches and used a spiral snap ring on the intermediate one-way-clutch (the stock snap rings are known to fly off which I found the case with mine when disassembled.)

- Forward clutch (stamped steel) - used 5 friction Alto clutch pack

- Reverse clutch - stock repl. alto browns

- Replaced all piston seals in clutches (*Need to buy seal installers - about $80.00)

- Red Eagle Overdrive band

- A+ Super Servo by Fairbanks (33 percent more holding power than stock)

- Sonnax boost valve and throttle valve.

- Zero leak 2-3 accumulator (stock for replacement for '97)

- Hardened lock-up shaft

- Edge Mild Street Convertor

- Transgo shift kit (if you're building for racing you may want to look at Lentech valve bodies or PA.)

I have probably about $1000.00 in it counting the Convertor but it should hold up well and shifts great.

man, my build is almost identical. i just went with a regular A servo and i have a PTC converter. i have 770 in it, but i did the R&R myself.

WOW! thankks for all the GREAT replies!!!!!!!!!! so i dont need a shift kti when getting a lentech valve body? also, what size stall for a daily driver and what brand?!?!?! THANKS AGAIN!!!

bobbys9350 said:
WOW! thankks for all the GREAT replies!!!!!!!!!! so i dont need a shift kti when getting a lentech valve body? also, what size stall for a daily driver and what brand?!?!?! THANKS AGAIN!!!

No need for shift kit if getting a Lentech. Stall really depends on the combo. I found Edge to be very helpful with reasonable prices. Andre will ask you everything under the sun and match a convertor specifically for you.