AOD(E) sucks....

90mustangGT

I felt sorry for girls because
Founding Member
Jan 15, 2002
Dallas, GA
My car is about to have an extrocisim to get this bad spirit out of it. I've drivin some modified AOD's before and they arn't that bad. My truck has a auto also, but there is no comparison. Going from a 4L65E to a AODE is like going from a short shift six speed manual to a 3 on the tree. It wants to upshift as soon as it can, then takes a act of congress to downshift.

I have a TKO500, adjustable quadrant, pedal assembly, spec clutch, and all the goodies, so It will be a stick real soon. :D

EDIT: Ok, sorry about my rant. I went cruising with some buddies and I couldn't even keep up because unless I was flooring it it just stayed in a high gear.

• Sponsors (?)

if they behave the way they supposed to they arent boring. thats what I hate about my ram. it shifts into 5th gear asap and its an act of God to get it to downshift to a lower gear. even if you floor it. for a 350hp motor the tranny sucks all the balls out of it.

Yea the AODs don't like downshifting,and they also like to go into OD at WOT and burn up the sorry excuse for a OD band. I gave my buddy with the 91' S/C Thunderbird a hand with his AOD,went through it replaced clutchs and bands,seals,gaskets,check balls,ect. just a basic refresh and well 3 months later slow up shifts are back,but still alot better than befor. He had to do the AOD shuffle ortherwise it wouldn't up shift and stay in 2nd while driving normaly,LOL.

Edit: Oh,I forgot to mention I like both autos and sticks,but I know autos and have built a few. Best one so far is the JW Powerglide in the stang,hahah. But for a Ford street trans the 4R100 in my Lightning is a BEAST,its also heavy but its a truck,meh. The L trans is just a mild build,Alto red eagle clutchs and new steels -a couple more that stock ;) ,and a shift kit (aka "adjusted accumulator"),and new everything else exept the center support bearing and ALL hard parts are stock. Should handle close to 1000HP on a track only car,probably bout 800HP on a street/strip car. Only real downsides IMO is the close to 300lbs wieght with converter and fluid and that you'r need either EEC V or a control unit of some sort if you want to put it in an older vehicle.

The AOD`s need upgraded parts from the 4r70w, then they hold up much better. The 2" o/d band and "A" servo then epoxy mod will fix the band problem, because the 1-2-1 shuffle will at some point wear the o/d band.

Hmm, someone needs to drive a serious non-manual car. Depending how I drive it, my full manual 4R70W can act like a mild-mannered everyday transmission or it can act like a raped ape who's been kicked in the nuts and set on fire.

Hmm, someone needs to drive a serious non-manual car. Depending how I drive it, my full manual 4R70W can act like a mild-mannered everyday transmission or it can act like a raped ape who's been kicked in the nuts and set on fire.

you've always had a way with words that brings tears to my eyes

X2

I’ve just recently made the swap from a 3550 setup to a electronically controlled 4r70w (better version of the aode) and so far I’ve been impressed….and I haven’t even yet gotten into tweaking the shift’s with the baumannator! In the end, I’ll have a mild street shifting tune and a bone jarring track tune at the flip of a switch. And to think, this 4r70w is capable of supporting MORE horsepower in stock form than the 3550 I sold….and on par with a tko 500 and 600!

Mine's a full manual, so I control all shifts up and down. No electronic shifts at all. Makes for tire-shredding shifts if I want to scare some people :) Or I could drive it like grandma and no one would know what was up.