AOD fluid question - a little help here, please

Lab Rat

Founding Member
Oct 25, 2002
Saxonburg, PA
OK - I just drained the AOD fluid and changed the filter, and am looking in my semi-useless Hayne's manual to find out what kind and how much trans fluid to put in. It says Mercon for a '93 AOD. Cool. But it doesn't say how much to add :bang: So, can anyone tell me how much fluid to add to the AOD? I bought the car used and the PO didn't give me the original owners manual :bang: :bang: so I can't look in there. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

BTW, this car's gonna be for sale in a few weeks (as soon as I get her cleaned up) so anyone that reads this that might be interested, PM me for details (shameless plug). :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Hey man,

3 quarts Mercon-Dexron for the AOD, but buy 4 in case-Just to top it off, and the filter w/gasket.
Personally-I use Pennzoil Mercon-Dexron V synthetic.

Hope this helps-Anthony

avelleno said:
Hey man,

3 quarts Mercon-Dexron for the AOD, but buy 4 in case-Just to top it off, and the filter w/gasket.
Personally-I use Pennzoil Mercon-Dexron V synthetic.

Hope this helps-Anthony

What, I thought the AOD took like 15 quarts, and a t-5 took 3. :dunno: Can someone else confirm this?

he is not dropping the tranny!

He is just dropping the pan, which takes 3-4 quarts to change the filter. Now-If you drop the valve body-You will need more like 8 quarts. If you drop out the convertor-i think its lie a total of 14 quarts.

When a friend of mine did the trans go-shift kit, we dropped the valve body-and we needed 8-9 quarts. so i know this for a fact.

Ant :nice:

Do yourself and the car a favor, and drain the converter also. If if is a factort one, it will have a drain plug on the front of it. Drop the inspection plate. or remove the rubber plug, depending on year, and rotate engine till the plug comes around, and near the bottom. Remove the plug, and drain out the other 8-10 quarts. The factory recomended #III fluid when these AODs were made, but since then the better Mercon V is available, and is recomended. It is MUCH better for the OD than the older fluids. Mercon V will improve the operation of a old trans, and will not cause and seal problems when used in an AOD.

393Bird said:
Do yourself and the car a favor, and drain the converter also.

Yep, did that too. Forgot to mention that. The car's actually been on jack stands for the last 8 months..... I was going to do a T-5 swap on it, but ran out of time and then ran out of money. And now I'm just putting her all back together in order to sell her :( Thanks for reminding me.

Matt