AOD in a 65

harryo007

Feb 20, 2004
I'm "resto-moding" my 65 coupe. I was interested in swapping over to an AOD. The car currently has a C4. My questions are: should I keep the C4, I heard that there is an OD kit for it; should I go AOD; will the AOD fit the tunnel; will headers clear it; what all would I need to do the swap? Thanks in advance for any info
Kent

• Sponsors (?)

I am interested as well in aod in my 69 with a 351W. What info do you have? I know there were magazine articles written about it, but how do I find out about them and get copies? I'll just keep scanning the forums...

In my 66 fastback, I use hedman long tube headers and they had to be pulled out slightly to clear the AOD but they just heated them up at the muffler shop, no problem. We didn't modify the tunnel at all, but you will need a different crossmember, flex plate, and TV table if you don't use a manual valve body. If you are planning on making a lot of horsepower, you will want to go with a 1pc input shaft and a non-lockup converter (TCI has them, also Lentech and Art Carr). I have a manual valve body and 1pc input shaft from Art Carr in my AOD and love it. Currenty run mid 12's @ 106. Gear vendors have an overdrive kit for the C4 I have no idea how it works.

if you do decide to go aod make sure you get the engine plate/inspection cover, they are specific to the aod. you will probabaly have to modify the shifter linkage as well. as fas as the gear vendors overdrive unit, it is very expensive, something like $2500-3000 for that much money you can get a bullet-proof AOD that will handle in excess of 1,000 horsepower form lentech, which would obviously be overkill for the street. also the gear vendors unit is HUGE, it's well over a foot long and that much extra length on the back of the c4 is going to cause drivetrain issues with pinion angles and such. it was originally designed for motorhomes and is a really nice unit but i don't think it is the right part for a classic stang.