AOD neutral safety switch

Well already have my transmission in and just trying to find a definite way on how to wire up the neutral safety switch. Im gonna leave to the junkyard in a sec to get a the original connection for the aod. also info on shift linkage ideas as well seeing as how i dont want to spend 100 bucks on a piece of rod i can make.

Any and all help is appreciated and I know there were threads on this before but i cant seems to find them.

• Sponsors (?)

The neutral safety switch works by opening the circuit when the car is not in neutral or park. I think there are 5 wires, and backup lights work off this switch also. Test each of these wires with a multimeter to see which circuits are opened or closed in every shifter position.

As for shifter linkage, I built my own, with junkyard parts from a fox mustang. I dont have any pictures of it. Basically the cable cover is held fixed at the shifter end and on the trans pan, and the cable moves with the shifter. The trans end of the cable is a solid steel piece that allows the cable to push as well as pull.

Ok, I thought it had 5 wires, but I'm just going from memory here. 4 wires does make more sense though.

What I forgot to say:

The wires should be paired, one pair for NSS and one for backup lights. By using a multimeter you should be able to do a conductivity test and tell which ones are which. The NSS pair needs to cut power to the ignition switch when not in neutral or park. The other pair will only be closed when in reverse.

The neutral safety switch is not to diff. For the Shifter linkage I flatened out the bends by about 85%. Then I took a measurement for length cut off the end that attaches to the trans. I took a 10 gauge piece of flatstock that was about 3/4" wide, cut a center slot welded it to the end of the shifter linkage and walla... New shifter linkage for less than 5 bucks. PM me if you want to see a picture with dimensions