AOD wont go into park

chris1993

Mar 4, 2024
Oregon
need some help with my 1990 foxbody with a freshly rebuilt AOD, after it was rebuilt i decided to also put a b&m hammer shifter in it from the start it was a pain to deal with i had ordered a new cable to go along with it because i figured why not have a new cable on a new shifter to start out the cable flexed and twisted when moving the b&m through the gears so just to get the car moving we welded a extra bracket onto and connected it to a trans pan bolt winch helped but to get from park to over drive i had to go down to drive 2 then pack up to OD for OD to engage after a while i got tired of this so i tried putting my oem shifter back in the car with this in there i can go from P to D just fine and from D to R with ease but when the shifter says im in park in still in reverse, i can reach under the car and push it into park with ease and it stays in park but i have to do this each time i want to put the car in park this has happened with the cable i originally put the welded bracket onto and a pre owed ebay cable, could there be anything inside the transmission making this happen or am i just having bad luck with cables? could it also be that the b&m shifter had a issue and so did my old oem shifter? the old oem shifter wokred fine before the transmission was rebuilt through all the gears BUT that same shift cable has never been back on the car snce the transmission was rebuilt because i was dumb and threw it away when i oprdered the b&m and new cable thinking it would of all been smooth sailing.
if i need a new shifter what else are my options besides the B&M hammer shifter?

• Sponsors (?)

I have always pulled the shifter down to first on the shifter. Then go under the car and loosen the nut on the gear selector arm that the cable connects to. Then moving the transmission arm into first gear and tightening the nut. Then test the shifter in each gear. When you get it up to park, the gear selector arm should be all the way into park (and not be able to move further). Doing this with someone in the car moving the shifter while some else is under the car and watches (or feels) the arm change gear positions.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Your new cable could be the problem. I got a Pioneer brand cable from Rock Auto and the ferrule on the end with the adjusting slot was too long not allowing the cable to go in far enough, it was about an inch longer than the stock cable pushed all the way in. It is sitting on the shelf and I put the original cable back in.

I would try the original cable if it is still available. A new OEM replacement would be the next step.

If neither of those is an option a used one from a junked car may be the best option.

Parts store parts is hit or miss these days. Mostly it's crap.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users