AODE Torque Converter Lockup Stumped

Hi All!

I have a 95 auto GT (5.0) convertible and am stumped by this latest problem. The torque converter is always locked when plugged in (will literally stall when shifting into gear or coming to a stop) NOW, the strange part is that if I undo the TCC pin on the harness… she runs great! No lockup, no stalling smooth clean shifts. I replaced the TCC solenoid… no difference unfortunately and filled with mercon V. Any suggestions? The fact.. that it behaves differently when unhooked leads me to believe the Torque converter and solenoid are good… thoughts? AODE transmission of course.

Thanks!

Matt G

• Sponsors (?)

Hi All!

I have a 95 auto GT (5.0) convertible and am stumped by this latest problem. The torque converter is always locked when plugged in (will literally stall when shifting into gear or coming to a stop) NOW, the strange part is that if I undo the TCC pin on the harness… she runs great! No lockup, no stalling smooth clean shifts. I replaced the TCC solenoid… no difference unfortunately and filled with mercon V. Any suggestions? The fact.. that it behaves differently when unhooked leads me to believe the Torque converter and solenoid are good… thoughts? AODE transmission of course.

Thanks!

Matt G
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue.

No, I unplugged it from the smaller harness right by the firewall that runs to the trans think it’s a pink/purple wire if memory serves me correct. Maybe a 12-15 pin connector. Check engine light is on, that is the biggest pain point, and I get worst gas mileage. I hope it’s not damaging the trans to much but I’m not sure. Only have put about 500 miles on her since unplugging. :/

No, I unplugged it from the smaller harness right by the firewall that runs to the trans think it’s a pink/purple wire if memory serves me correct. Maybe a 12-15 pin connector. Check engine light is on, that is the biggest pain point, and I get worst gas mileage. I hope it’s not damaging the trans to much but I’m not sure. Only have put about 500 miles on her since unplugging. :/
Thanks. If I figure it out I'll report back. I asked on several forums in the hopes of getting a few suggestions.

Biggest take away that I got from it is that the transmission is not very efficient when it is not locking up and it will run hot. High temperatures and auto transmissions are not a good combination. If it were me I would call a good transmission shop or individual and see if they can point you in the right direction. This shop is known for AOD's:

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I did actually drop the pan and replace the TCC solenoid (fair warning, you want the one that is 1-3ohms not the higher ohm one that the 95+ used (at least for the 5.0 1995 mustang). Found that out the hard way, but it didn’t help a thing. My guess, is the valve body is causing it by not letting fluid flow, the torque converter is bad or my TCC wiring is grounded somewhere along the path where it shouldn’t be (I think the ECM/ECU provides ground in these cars instead of 12v). I agree, best option is to take it to a shop, but hard for me to swallow a $1K bill on this one, when we hardly drive it and the car is only worth a couple thousand at most :/ maybe if I get time this summer I will dive in more but if you guys hear any suggestions / findings please send them this thread’s way.

i called the guy back and he 'assured' me the one he listed was the right one so we will see. I'll check the ohms on the old one to compare. really hoping this fixes it.

Reactions: 1 user
I got the new one and bench tested it and it tested at 12.5 ohms so right in that ballpark it says it should be. Took the old one out and bench tested it. It tested at 1.7 ohms but it did not cycle when I applied 12v to it so pretty sure this is my issue. Just unsure now about what to do with this new one. Guy at Global transmissions assured me it was the right one and nobody local has them in stock.

Tried to find the lower ohm one locally but no luck so trusted the guy at Global Transmissions and put the higher ohm one in and so far so good. Problem is fixed unless that higher ohm rating causes an issue later. Only drove it a few miles but so far no CEL either.

Reactions: 1 users