AODE vs SENSORS -need answers please

livenfine

Jun 9, 2003
I've been searching for help with my AODE without any luck. Here's my problem: with the cruise on, driving 55-ish, the tranny will get a mind of it's own shifting from OD to 3rd sometimes even to 2nd then back to OD. :bang: This happens consistently and often. It's as if a sensor is telling the tranny to downshift then the sensor is happy and the tranny shifts back to OD.

At 70-ish the problem does not show up.

What do you think the prob is? I lean toward a bad sensor.

Someone please educate me on this tranny and how it's controlled. Does it have a separate brain from the ECU? Which sensors does it use to determine when to shift, etc?

Thanks! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I would have that checked out by a good tranny shop, or reasonable equivalent.
It may be electronic, which is what I would be hoping for, or it may be worse. When that happend to me, it was one of those worst case scenarios.

actually this exact problem is happening with mine..
I thought it was a shot o/d band, but after testing it, that seems fine ( drop into manual 2nd at 55mph, supposed to engage the o/d band, and not slip)

From what ive been reading, its starting to sound like you and I, might have a bad MLPS ( Manual lever posistion sensor) Suposibly these get moisture in them, and go crazy. I believe the late 95s solved this problem with a rubber seal around the sensors base.

I think il just take mine to a tranny shop, and have them throw a code scanner on it, and see if thats not the problem ( bad MLPS)

Thanks. I'll try that first. But:

livenfine said:
Someone please educate me on this tranny and how it's controlled. Does it have a separate brain from the ECU? Which sensors does it use to determine when to shift, etc?

Thanks! :flag: