Appears to be DOA Battery - but isn't...

explrsport

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
SoCA
I have a '05 GT 5-speed with 10k miles with original battery; it's never gone dead on me. But it's probably time to replace it anyway.

When I first bought the car with 900 miles on it in '05, I thought the battery was half-dead back then because turning the key sometimes resulted in nothing - no starter motor activity, no clicking, barely any noise of any type. But then turning the key again (yes, with the clutch all the way to the floor; I've had manuals for more than 30 years) started it right up.

So I took it to the dealer while it was in warranty and, of course, they couldn't replicate the problem.

For the last 4 years I'd say its gone dead as outlined above maybe once every 15-20 times I've taken it out. And it always started easily after a few more key turns.

Earlier this week I couldn't get it started after a half-dozen tries; that was new. Let it sit for 5 minutes then it started just fine.

Once I got home I tested the battery with the ignition off and it registered 13.3v and the "green eye" looked ok. No corrosion and all the cables I could reach were tight. Checked the solenoid unit that the clutch pedal assembly hits and it clicks and the wires are firmly attached.

So...anybody else have this problem and get it fixed?

Starter motor? Starter solenoid? Ignition switch? Evil curse from an ex-girlfriend?

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Evil ex girlfriend theory should always be considered, however I have run into various vehicles different makes/models which that battery tested fine and the "green eye" looked good however the battery was the issue. I'ld go with battery first being it's 4 years old already.

Checking the best deals on quality batteries...called NAPA for an Interstate MTF-40R, Interstate's recommendation for 2005+ GTs...about $130 with tax out the door. Same 590 CCA rating as the Motorcraft OEM in my 2005. You can probably find this for less as my local NAPA is rather high-priced.

Then I saw where Optima has a $25 factory rebate thru the end of this month for their Red or Yellow Tops - went with the Yellow for my garage queen. You can find the Red (best if you have a DD) for $150 delivered online so with the $25 coming back, your net is $125 - cheaper than the Interstate. Figure another $27 if you want the Yellow Top. I searched online for the best deal; apparently, Amazon doesn't pad their shipment cartons so a lot of their Optimas arrive damaged and their return procedure sucks. I went with 1st-optima-batteries.com but your mileage may vary; should have the delivery tomorrow so we shall see how well they are packed. Bought a 2nd Yellow Top for our Ody that also eats batteries because of the power sliding doors used key off...

For GTs -
Red Top: #8020-164 35, CCA at 720
Yellow: #8040-218 D35, CCA at 620 (but takes a full recharge better than Red Tops)