Are 4.10's too big for a supercharger, or turbo?

• Sponsors (?)

It depends what kind of blower you have. I have a centri and 4.10 and love it. I hear people with KBs saying its too much gear for them since they make so much power in the lower RPM range.

I agree that it depends on a lot of factors.

I'm personally a fan of centri blowers with 4.10's in high rev applications. While in some regards, the 2v 4.6 may not be the highest rev motor but, it does have a decent rpm range. I think, if you could possibly make the motor run safely to 7k while still making power with a combination of 4.10's with a centri blower, you'd have one hell of a machine.

As far as turbo's and twin/roots are concerned, it's not as "steady" of a power increase as a centri's. They both have that - slap you in the face effect. While in lower boost applications, that effect may not be as apparent but, it's emphasized even greater by adding taller gears.

Traction is a bitch, ain't it?

I wouldn't go any more gear on my KB setup. I have a hard time as it is with 3.73's. The instant power definitely makes traction a pain. First gear, and even sometimes second gear give me problems when I slam it.

I say 4.10's for centri, and 3.73's for roots/twin screw for a fun street car.

Have a friend with 4.10s and a centri and he loves the combo. Says it really helps to get the blower wound up faster. However, on a positive displacement blower like a KB, Id leave stock gears or 3.55's at most.

You guys with centrifugal blowers and 4.10's, can you hook in 1st and 2nd gear?

Well I have an auto and I can spin the tires all the way up to 75 mph from a dead stop. This is with DRs and just going WOT from a dead stop. Now if I gradually get into and then go WOT it is not as bad but is still kind of a problem. What is worse for me is roll races. Really 35-45 mph is a real problem for my car; I usually will be pulling away from somebody with smoke rolling off my back tires. lol Did that to a Corvette once he didn’t know what to say. :D I think with a better set of DRs 99.9% of my traction problems will go away. I have Nitto DRs and I’m picking up some MTs this spring.

You guys with centrifugal blowers and 4.10's, can you hook in 1st and 2nd gear?

well i have nitto drags, so take that into consideration when i say this, if i had some better drag radials on it'd do better.....

if it's cold out & if sitting at a light & decide i want to go balls out, forget about it. i won't catch traction till the top of 3rd, sometimes 4th gear

if it's warm out i can launch at 3k on the street play with the clutch a little bit & it'll grab. on occasion it'll start to break loose at 5k-5500 from boost in 1st gear. but, after that i'm good to go.

now if i do a lil burnout & get the tires warm, i'm usually good to go :nice:

also, keep in mind i have full suspension setup for drag, so it's set up to hook

well i have nitto drags, so take that into consideration when i say this, if i had some better drag radials on it'd do better.....

if it's cold out & if sitting at a light & decide i want to go balls out, forget about it. i won't catch traction till the top of 3rd, sometimes 4th gear

if it's warm out i can launch at 3k on the street play with the clutch a little bit & it'll grab. on occasion it'll start to break loose at 5k-5500 from boost in 1st gear. but, after that i'm good to go.

now if i do a lil burnout & get the tires warm, i'm usually good to go :nice:

also, keep in mind i have full suspension setup for drag, so it's set up to hook

What are you using for the quad shocks and pumpkin control arms? I am getting ready to start setting up my rear-end for the strip as well and I would like to see what you guys on here are using that works well.

I am going to put on an adjustable torque arm as well to turn the pinion angle down and provide better weight transfer.

What are you using for the quad shocks and pumpkin control arms? I am getting ready to start setting up my rear-end for the strip as well and I would like to see what you guys on here are using that works well.

I am going to put on an adjustable torque arm as well to turn the pinion angle down and provide better weight transfer.

quad shocks are long gone, & has been that way for about 2 years. for my upper control arms i'm using steeda hardcore adjustables with rod end bushings & i put solid spherical bushings in on the housing end. 100% better than my other control arms with poly bushings. where my car is launching so hard now, it was just ejecting bushings on nearly every pass. with these control arms i can play with the pinion angle too. i'm a big fan of them so far. i can't wait to hit up the strip on slicks again

i haven't seen too many people bother with the tq arms. i guess since a regular good lower & upper control arms, mixed with an anti roll bar setup will be good for sub 1.3x 60's

I think 4.30s are prolly too steep at least for an auto because I sometimes shift into OD right before I cross the line or a just a hair after wich is a NO NO if you want to keep you transmission together. I will be stepping down to a 3.90 or 3.73because of this with the new power.

Which would you guys reccomend?

I just had 4.30's installed in my 03 cobra. With the factory eaton s/c, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are pretty well useless. I installed these because I am laying the foundation for my twin turbo kit which I hope to get in the next couple months. My tuner says the twin turbo kit will hit full boost at 4-4500 RPM. The 4.30's are just to help it get in the RPM range a little faster. They may prove to be little too steep. Only time will tell.

I just had 4.30's installed in my 03 cobra. With the factory eaton s/c, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are pretty well useless. I installed these because I am laying the foundation for my twin turbo kit which I hope to get in the next couple months. My tuner says the twin turbo kit will hit full boost at 4-4500 RPM. The 4.30's are just to help it get in the RPM range a little faster. They may prove to be little too steep. Only time will tell.

:jaw: that must be a handful

yeah wow thats some steep gear especially for that kind of application.

if anything it will take LONGER to get into boost because the steeper gears will put less load on the motor, and with less load it means the turbos will not spool as quickly.