are AMC Javelin & 71-73 Mustang cousins?

Benoit23

Sep 13, 2007
Denton, Texas
I’m a newbie to Fords & Mustangs…. Is it just me or does the AMC Javelin look like a distant cousin of a 71-73 Mustang Sportroof?
Does anyone agree with me & is there any link to the 2 cars?

AMC Javelin
1972-AMC-Javelin-red-fa-sy.jpg

p7315443.jpg

1974_my_AMC_javelin.jpg

1000379-149297_1.jpg

4928-1969-AMC-AMX.jpg

71-73 Mustang Sportroof
Mach1.jpg

1970mach1.jpg

1973%20Mustang%20Mach%201%20-%20Kim%20and%20Wayne%20Wagg.JPG

Attachments

• 1972-AMC-Javelin-red-fa-sy.jpg
    1972-AMC-Javelin-red-fa-sy.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 4,663
  • p7315443.jpg
    p7315443.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 543
  • Sponsors (?)

though they do look very similar and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if there were some mechanical bits that are interchangeable, AMC was known to use a few components from the Big 3 on occasion (ford carbs and igintions for instance), the 2 cars are not all related but i can see how they might appear that way. it also wouldn't suprise me if either Ford or AMC had a spy in the design for either car (or both)

though they do look very similar and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if there were some mechanical bits that are interchangeable, AMC was known to use a few components from the Big 3 on occasion (ford carbs and igintions for instance), the 2 cars are not all related but i can see how they might appear that way. it also wouldn't suprise me if either Ford or AMC had a spy in the design for either car (or both)

Thanks bnickel, I was beginning to think I was crazy.....lol

I don't think they look exactly alike but, a few things around the cars & general shape just remind me of one another.

I use to be a Chevy guy until lately....now I like the Muscle cars off the beat'n path from what everyone else has. I'm getting so sick of Camaros & other played out GM cars. I'm really diggin the AMC's, 71-73 Mustangs, Cougars, Mavricks, etc.

Oh, By the Way!

If you ever find yourself in the position of needing this information:

Know the story about the front hub on Granadas being larger than on Stangs? It's even worse on the AMC vehicles. Don't ask me how I know this, but While the bolt-circle diameter is the same between AMC's and small/intermediate V-8 Fords; the AMC hub is freakin' HUGE! If, in the middle of the night on a dark road on the west side of Tucson, you find yourself having to use/force a '73 Gran Torino spare tire on your girlfriend's '76 Gremlin to get it off the road and home; you will destroy both the Ford rim and the AMC brake drum when you cut/pry them apart! :eek:

Again, please don't ask me how I know........ :nonono: