Are thermactor passeges really nessessary?

Bigstang1

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Massachusettes
I am planning on purchasing a set of gt40ps from Tri-state cylinder head when i get the cash and in their add it says that they do not come with the thermactor passage drilled. Now my question is do i really need this to pass emissions? i have heard that air is only passed threw these passages when the engine is cold...and then redirected to the cats when the car heats up...is this correct? I dont run cats now anyway but i may have to throw them back on for the sniffer test and i need to know if these thermactor passages need to be there or not. Im not that worried about the visual inspection cause the last time i didnt even have to pop the hood. I have been wondering about this for a long time thanks and sorry for the long post. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

you're correct, the only time the passages in the heads are used is when the engine is cold.

you won't get a check engine light but when you check for codes(KOER) you will get one for upstream air injection.

it should not affect the outcome of the tailpipe test but will/may for visual(i know you aren't worried about visual but things may change).