Atlanta Emissions

Notchbck93

Dec 9, 2003
IL
I am from IL and have a show car waiver, but GA has informed me that they have no such thing.

I was curious as to how you stang guys in the Atlanta area pass emissions?
I was also curious as to how picky are they?

• Sponsors (?)

Notchbck93 said:
I am from IL and have a show car waiver, but GA has informed me that they have no such thing.

I was curious as to how you stang guys in the Atlanta area pass emissions?
I was also curious as to how picky are they?

Emissions suck in Atlanta. Depends on what county you will be living in. I had to register my car out of state at some property I owned, we sold the property, so I had to sell the car. I tried to get a PO.Box in a county that does not have emissions, but you have to have a physical address in that county to get a PO Box. If you know someone that will sign a fake lease and cash a few fake rent checks for you, then you can probably register the car thru a PO Box there. Or let you register your car at there address.

I live in gwinnett county, they check for cats and do the smog test. I had two show cars and they would not pass either because of the cats. Neither car would pass smog due to heads and cam. I tried two places and neither guy would take a pay off to pass the car.

Well this is eecIV which sounds like it's going to be a pain to get to pass. Now, I do have an 8 cat set up LOL. IT comes out on the pass and driver side of the car. You can tell it is not stock though. Car sounds like a kit cobra car with the home made exhaust set up. I took two factory cat h-pipes and morphed them together. Car has an S-Trim, e cam, edel heads, intake, long tubes, power chamber, and it is still injected. I passed the IL test with the 8 cats, but would Gwinett county pitch a fit if the car doesn't have stock exhaust. I know the car could break their IM240 dyno. I just don't want some goon behind the wheel jerking it back and forth on the dyno.

My other thought was to gank out the engine and find an early bronco.. 66-77 and slam the blown 302 in that so that way I would not have to have emissions and still have a bad ass ford to cruise in.

Is it possible to have a daily driven 1980 and older vehicle and not have emissions?? I saw that 80 and older was exempt, but I am not sure if GA limits the mileage that you are able to drive. I thought about buying an older car ( 80 and older) seeing that they don't rust away like the IL ones do. I am not a fan of emissions test and would much rather drive an old school ride around.

Oh ya, the car runs on 100 octane... is there any place to buy that type of fuel down there?? Or should I just sell my car off?

I truly appreciate the response guys!!!

Thank You :flag:

V_Eight said:
Here in Forsyth, you plug a scanner in the diag. port, no codes, then you're good to go. I passed with an o/r h-pipe, and dumped magnaflows.

Forsyth is one of the places I looked at moving to. I saw the emissions test centers and wanted to run all the way back to IL.

All metro ATL counties have the same requirements. Since yours is pre '96 they are going to run a sniffer on it and look for cats. You have cats so you're covered. When they see 8 they may question it but they are there. The E cam is emissions friendly but what about the eddy heads? I know of a few people who have passed the sniffer with off road pipes so you may get lucky.

Luckily my sister lives 20 minutes from me in a county that doesn't require testing. They always try to deny me but I end up getting my tag anyways.

If I were you I would test it to see if it will pass. You'd be out $25 so it's no big deal. That way you know if they accept your frankenstein mid pipe.

If you end up getting an old car like you say then no there are no mileage restrictions. Drive it till it falls apart.

Notchbck93 said:
Well this is eecIV which sounds like it's going to be a pain to get to pass. Now, I do have an 8 cat set up LOL. IT comes out on the pass and driver side of the car. You can tell it is not stock though. Car sounds like a kit cobra car with the home made exhaust set up. I took two factory cat h-pipes and morphed them together. Car has an S-Trim, e cam, edel heads, intake, long tubes, power chamber, and it is still injected. I passed the IL test with the 8 cats, but would Gwinett county pitch a fit if the car doesn't have stock exhaust. I know the car could break their IM240 dyno. I just don't want some goon behind the wheel jerking it back and forth on the dyno.

My other thought was to gank out the engine and find an early bronco.. 66-77 and slam the blown 302 in that so that way I would not have to have emissions and still have a bad ass ford to cruise in.

Is it possible to have a daily driven 1980 and older vehicle and not have emissions?? I saw that 80 and older was exempt, but I am not sure if GA limits the mileage that you are able to drive. I thought about buying an older car ( 80 and older) seeing that they don't rust away like the IL ones do. I am not a fan of emissions test and would much rather drive an old school ride around.

Oh ya, the car runs on 100 octane... is there any place to buy that type of fuel down there?? Or should I just sell my car off?

I truly appreciate the response guys!!!

Thank You :flag:

You will not get any smack about not having the non original exahaust. As long as you have cats, they do not care. What heads are your running? Perfromer II? All they care about is having cats and passing smog.

I used to run 118 octane in my last car. You can buy it in 5 gallon drums at Lawrenceville Auto, or a place in Norcross, GA (Name slips my mind). Both places will order a 50 gallon container for you. I found out that my home owners ins will not cover me if anything happens if you hae 50 galloons of high octane fuel at your home. You can purchase 100 octane at the pump up in Oakwood (down the street from Road Atlanta)

trents99 said:
All metro ATL counties have the same requirements. Since yours is pre '96 they are going to run a sniffer on it and look for cats. You have cats so you're covered. When they see 8 they may question it but they are there. The E cam is emissions friendly but what about the eddy heads? I know of a few people who have passed the sniffer with off road pipes so you may get lucky.

Luckily my sister lives 20 minutes from me in a county that doesn't require testing. They always try to deny me but I end up getting my tag anyways.

If I were you I would test it to see if it will pass. You'd be out $25 so it's no big deal. That way you know if they accept your frankenstein mid pipe.

If you end up getting an old car like you say then no there are no mileage restrictions. Drive it till it falls apart.

Good deal on the old vehicles!!

Do they run the dyno?? Or just a sniffer for an idle test?

I would assume that my stang would have to run the full 2:40 on the dyno.

Also, is there any place to buy 100 octane in the Atlanta area??

I don't mean to be picky, I just need to find out if I should just sell my car before I come down. Last thing I need is more headaches in a new marriage.

By the way, I built the 8 cat system more as a mockery to IL insepction. Car passed with flying colors--- only the idle test.

I love my notch, but I just don't want it to turn into a nightmare of trying to pass it for tags if I move to Atlanta area.

thank you again for the response, I do appreciate it!

I just figured I could get more " real world" answers from fellow stang guys than the clean air team in Atlanta, or non-car people.

Notchbck93 said:

I would assume that my stang would have to run the full 2:40 on the dyno.

Also, is there any place to buy 100 octane in the Atlanta area??

I don't mean to be picky, I just need to find out if I should just sell my car before I come down. Last thing I need is more headaches in a new marriage.

By the way, I built the 8 cat system more as a mockery to IL insepction. Car passed with flying colors--- only the idle test.

I love my notch, but I just don't want it to turn into a nightmare of trying to pass it for tags if I move to Atlanta area.

thank you again for the response, I do appreciate it!

I just figured I could get more " real world" answers from fellow stang guys than the clean air team in Atlanta, or non-car people.

See my previous post about the gas
Call me on my cell.. I will fill you in on the loop holes, gas,etc... easier than typing it all out.

My name is Steve 678-591-1731

88GTStreetRod said:
See my previous post about the gas
Call me on my cell.. I will fill you in on the loop holes, gas,etc... easier than typing it all out.

My name is Steve 678-591-1731

I might take you up on that offer in the near future. I will find out more this up coming monday.

Are you available to talk in the evening say 7-9 pm your time? Or would a weekend be better?

Notchbck93 said:
I might take you up on that offer in the near future. I will find out more this up coming monday.

Are you available to talk in the evening say 7-9 pm your time? Or would a weekend be better?

Evenings are fine, we have a new born, sooooo..... we are pretty much up all of the time.

Do not sell your car, bring it with you. I sold my 88GT with 20k original miles and my 93 clone Big block 466, basically due to emissions. I could have figured out a way to keep them. Now I am kicking myself for selling the cars.

Notchbck93 said:

What tests will be done?

All 1995 and older model year vehicles will receive a four-part inspection:

* A visual inspection of the catalytic converter to check for tampering or removal.
* ASM2 or Accelerated Simulation Mode Test - A dual-mode test including a 25/25 test = 25 lbs. of load at 25 MPH and a 50/15 test = 50 lbs. of load at 15 MPH.
* A tailpipe exhaust emission test.
* A fuel cap inspection to check for adequate seal.

An inspector can reject a vehicle for testing if it is considered unsafe to test. And, if the test has already begun when the safety problem is detected, the inspector may charge the full price of the test.

Older vehicles (1981-1995 model years) must be tested at stations marked "All Vehicles Welcome," where they will undergo an inspection using different testing equipment.

Testing Tips

* For 1995 and older model year vehicles, warm up the engine to make sure your vehicle’s emission control equipment is working properly.
* You don’t need to have your vehicle inspected in the county where it is registered.
* Vehicle owners have the right to observe the inspection as it is performed.

If you get bored here's all the info you could ever care about....oh the poor trees :rolleyes:

http://www.cleanairforce.com/index.htm

as long as you have the original emissions equipment you should be fine. i have a lot of semi mild mods on mine, and it easily passed all the tests. its got edelebrock heads and an e cam as well as a whole mess of other stuff. i live in woodstock, and they were not really all that thorough where i went. should be do able for ya!

KCoppola said:
as long as you have the original emissions equipment you should be fine. i have a lot of semi mild mods on mine, and it easily passed all the tests. its got edelebrock heads and an e cam as well as a whole mess of other stuff. i live in woodstock, and they were not really all that thorough where i went. should be do able for ya!

What Edelebrock heads are you running??? I am looiking for some. I had the Performer II on mt last car but also di dnot have any smog equipments on it. Was wondering if you could run the performer II heads with smog equipment and still pass?

i THINK they should pass, with cats. i have the older original performer heads (about 5 yrs old) and i looked at the sheet when they finished tested, and it actually runs super clean, WAAAAAAAAAAAY within limits. this car runs cleaner than either of my other vehicles( 99 4x4 ram 5.9, 01 4x4 yukon 5.3)