Attention PA Residents....

96s281

Founding Member
Sep 17, 2002
What's the deal with the new emissions? I'm having a heck of a time finding someone who can pass my car - is it impossible to get a "friend" to pass your car now in PA? Does anyone have any info on PA Emission Laws? Please help, my inspection/emission expires this month.

Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

I have actually read in to this... seems that PA wanted an easy way to make money. The emmisisons are harder to pass and i believe the fine is steep. Funny thing is, is that the inspection garage doesnt do anything to help you pass... they just fine you, and you have to try again hahaha. Just another way that PA makes more money!

Is the 5000 miles or less for all of Pa or is it just in certain areas. I too am concerned considering when i bought the car the cats were removed and the owner did not have them.

The law states you must have the emissions equipment that the car came equiped with. Some counties it's only a visual insp. Most are visual and obd 2 monitor ready check. Others are dyno'ed. Yes it is the biggest rip off going, But you can thank your EPA and state politicians for the royal screwing.The Poor mechanic is only doing his job. The state sends out covert cars to make sure the mechanics are doing thier job. And if they are not they are being handed fines and have to show up for court hearings. So give your local mechanic a break.

I think its easier to pass in PA now with the new inspection. They dont test your exhaust gasses anymore. All they do is hook into your OBD II senser and see if anything is not right. So if you have the MIL eliminaters then you should be fine. Well they will see that there are no cats so you wont pass the visual. Im just going to weld on some shells over the Mac O/R pipe to make it look like I have cats.

http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/default.htm

Here's the state site that helps explain their emission policies. I'm moving to Buck's County so I'll have to get inspected. I'm concerned about the visual check. I have MAC H-Pipe with cats; but I've heard they want to see the OEM 4 cat set-up. Can anyone confirm that for me? I should be OK if they sniff it; I just don't want them to fail it because it only has 2 cats.

Other mods: KB 1500; BBK CAI, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 70mmTB, AFR 165's, 36# injectors, 255 lph FP, BBK equal length shorties, hi flow H Pipe with cats, Flowmasters, MSD 6-BTM, dyno tuned with street & strip programs

ej95cobra said:
http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/default.htm

Here's the state site that helps explain their emission policies. I'm moving to Buck's County so I'll have to get inspected. I'm concerned about the visual check. I have MAC H-Pipe with cats; but I've heard they want to see the OEM 4 cat set-up. Can anyone confirm that for me? I should be OK if they sniff it; I just don't want them to fail it because it only has 2 cats.

Other mods: KB 1500; BBK CAI, 75mm Pro-M MAF, 70mmTB, AFR 165's, 36# injectors, 255 lph FP, BBK equal length shorties, hi flow H Pipe with cats, Flowmasters, MSD 6-BTM, dyno tuned with street & strip programs

technically, your car has to have exactly what it came from the factory with. you may be able to find a garage that will say "yup thats a cat" and you'll be fine.... but i can't guarantee it. i was lucky with my cars, both have all the emissions JUNK on them.

did i say junk? :D

at least you guys don't live in Cali. everything and any thing you put on your car had to come with a CARB #. The guy passed my car here in PA said as long as my car passes the visual(safety, emissions stuff) and the sniffer test on the dyno It's cool, even if you've got alot mods. I talked to him about Longtubes and he said as long as I have a set of cats and the smog tubes are hooked up, it would pass the visual, and should pass the emission. Any one in the chester county area should look him.

McJilton Auto Service
1027 Rees Road, Malvern, PA 19355
(610) 407-9777

The guys pretty cool, and reasonblied priced. He's big into Hot Rods too, so he may cut you some slack to. Just be sure if you have a nitrous sytem hooked up, don't have the bottle in the car, its a 'fire risk'. Good luck

At least mine is old enough to tag as a classic and get around the emissions.
All of the smog crap that first saw the light of day on the II's (thatnks to the freaking EPA politicians) are long gone. Most was taken off by the PO, I got rid of the rest-any idea how much fun it would be trying to find the emissions parts for a II? About as much fun as i would be finding any other parts for it. :(