Attn: Mustang Gods :)

dkhl

Aug 22, 2004
Well, yesterday I had WAY too much time to spend thinking, and I decided to make a combo list. Oh god, I wish I had been more productive doing something else, but well since my engine is finished being bored/cleaned and what not.. its time to get to work on it.. last I mentioned I was roughly 50% done on it.. lol, I consider that 50% the cleaning /honing part heh.

After MUCH deliberation, I've come up with what I think would be a good contender in the 350-400 horsepower range WITHOUT Force Induction and roughly 450-500 WITH... I'm sure as hell I could get it up to 550-600 w/ force induction after I've tuned it.. the motor only has 65k original miles.. :p

This probabl has been beat to death, but I really couldn't find anything under SEARCH :p So please entertain me with any criticisms, etc.. I know all these mods will run definetly in the $15-20k range.. But being ambitious and young and retardedly stupid I have the ability to live at home, and devote a large chunk of all my income to finishing this car in ONE year or so :p then I plan on moving out haha, as i know its a bitch to move out while your young and mod your car, go to school and go to work.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Objective: To obtain the most power from a street legal engine/trans/etc :p.. This is not a drag machine.. and yes I realize the obvious retardness driving a 500 horsepower daily driver.. [I'm a kid right now, and I'll have plenty of time to regret what I did AFTER my money is gone;)] haha

CAI: K&N FIPK Cold Air Induction

Heads: AFR 185cc
Intake: Edelbrock PErformer 5.0 RPM II (NOte: I didn't choose HOlley Systemax II because it's RPM power range is 2000-6500rpm while the Edelbrock are 1500-7000 RPM)
Pulleys: FRPP Underdrive Pulleys
Stroker Kit: DSS? I dunno much bout strokers.. I know i'd like a 347 tho :p
Camshaft: FRPP Z303 Cams [Note: The Z303 supposedly is good for supercharging/turbocharging applications, altho providing me with a fair idle, lol.. probably a better choice, but i'm gonna keep is simple]
Crankshaft: I have NO Idea bout this one..
Misc. Internals: Forged PIstons, and other bull**** (NOte: obviously to handle the stresses of adding force induction)
Spark Plugs: Denso IRidium (NOte; $96 bucks for spark plugs!)

Headers: BBK 5.0L Headers [Note: I know there are other brands, but I really could'nt find much difference between MAC, BBK, etc..]
Exhaust System: Full Bassani [Note: Again, I found most brands pretty much around the same quality, I heard good thigns bout Bassani.. This system will include, mufflers, catbacks, cats converters.. I may change this to American Thunder flowmaster tho]

Fuel Injectors: 42lbs [NOte: not sure the brand, im sure their all the same pretty much]
Fuel Pump: dunno what brand.. but prob 255lph
Throttle Body: again not sure.. but probably 80.. i know the engine is gonna chug some major gas..

Driveshaft: FRPP Aluminum obviously
Clutch: King Cobra.. nothing less :p
Gears: FRPP 4.10 Gears [oh yeah lol]
Timing Chain: FRPP [Note: this isnt that important, but since im redoing the engine i might as well]
Transmission!!!!!!!!: T-56 Viper prepped.. Anything less? Me thinks not.. Although this will definitely definitely come last or close to it.. the freakin kit and trans not to mention hours it will take.. :p $4000 grand almost for a new trans..

Ahhh we finally reach some of the stuff that makes this car shine!
Force Induction: INcon Twin-Turbo or NOVI 2000 (Now I know, turbos efficient, etc.. more work than say a supercharger.. so I'm not sure yet.. I do like the instant power of the novi, and the incon does have its advntages.. NO, im not gonna start a turbo/supercharger debate..]

Suspension: I have no clue bout this one, I know i need sway bars, strut towers, k-member ****.. :p Actually this MAY go on the car first.. I heard horror stories about chassis warping :p..

Brakes: What good is the car without brakes? Brembo.. god damn saleen brakes cost WAY too damn much.. jesus christ $4k for 14inch rotors.

-----------

Anyways I'm dumb :p thanks for wasting time reading this.

• Sponsors (?)

dkhl said:
Suspension: I have no clue bout this one, I know i need sway bars, strut towers, k-member ****.. :p Actually this MAY go on the car first.. I heard horror stories about chassis warping :p..
This is the most intelligent statement in this post. Better suspension will improve everything from how much power gets to the road, to how well your brakes work. Build the car to handle the horsepower first, since Ford underbuilt them in almost every area even for the meager numbers they pull from the factory. You build this motor how you're describing for a daily driver with the stock suspension, and you're asking for trouble. Even if you don't immediately flush the whole project down the toilet by wiping out a few telephone poles, you will spend every dollar you no longer have (spent it all on the engine) fixing every POS Ford part that you brake with all that power.

Start with the suspension, and the word of the hour is PACKAGE. Don't just get a bunch of parts you think are good or will work well together, call one of the respected places like Maximum Motorsports, Griggs, Kenny Brown, etc- and get a handling package designed to work together to meet your needs and goals.

Second, beef up the brakes. They suck. A well engineered suspension will help, but they still suck. At least get discs in the rear, if you can manage than go for an all out five lug conversion. This will give you a much better selection of brake products to choose from, and tend to be financially easier- just go rob an SN95 car of everything from the wheels in. Can usually be done for under a grand if you know where to look.

Peripherals- the transmission, rear end, cooling system, and gauges aren't up to par for that kind of powerplant. Get all this stuff done, then come back and ask about the engine.

Milk living at home for all it's worth and drag it out as long as you can- it won't last forever and there's no going back with honor later. Since none of the gods have spoken yet, that's my $.02

dkhl said:
Well, yesterday I had WAY too much time to spend thinking, and I decided to make a combo list. Oh god, I wish I had been more productive doing something else, but well since my engine is finished being bored/cleaned and what not.. its time to get to work on it.. last I mentioned I was roughly 50% done on it.. lol, I consider that 50% the cleaning /honing part heh.

After MUCH deliberation, I've come up with what I think would be a good contender in the 350-400 horsepower range WITHOUT Force Induction and roughly 450-500 WITH... I'm sure as hell I could get it up to 550-600 w/ force induction after I've tuned it.. the motor only has 65k original miles.. :p

This probabl has been beat to death, but I really couldn't find anything under SEARCH :p So please entertain me with any criticisms, etc.. I know all these mods will run definetly in the $15-20k range.. But being ambitious and young and retardedly stupid I have the ability to live at home, and devote a large chunk of all my income to finishing this car in ONE year or so :p then I plan on moving out haha, as i know its a bitch to move out while your young and mod your car, go to school and go to work.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Objective: To obtain the most power from a street legal engine/trans/etc :p.. This is not a drag machine.. and yes I realize the obvious retardness driving a 500 horsepower daily driver.. [I'm a kid right now, and I'll have plenty of time to regret what I did AFTER my money is gone;)] haha

CAI: K&N FIPK Cold Air Induction

Heads: AFR 185cc
Intake: Edelbrock PErformer 5.0 RPM II (NOte: I didn't choose HOlley Systemax II because it's RPM power range is 2000-6500rpm while the Edelbrock are 1500-7000 RPM)
Pulleys: FRPP Underdrive Pulleys
Stroker Kit: DSS? I dunno much bout strokers.. I know i'd like a 347 tho :p
Camshaft: FRPP Z303 Cams [Note: The Z303 supposedly is good for supercharging/turbocharging applications, altho providing me with a fair idle, lol.. probably a better choice, but i'm gonna keep is simple]
Crankshaft: I have NO Idea bout this one..
Misc. Internals: Forged PIstons, and other bull**** (NOte: obviously to handle the stresses of adding force induction)
Spark Plugs: Denso IRidium (NOte; $96 bucks for spark plugs!)

Headers: BBK 5.0L Headers [Note: I know there are other brands, but I really could'nt find much difference between MAC, BBK, etc..]
Exhaust System: Full Bassani [Note: Again, I found most brands pretty much around the same quality, I heard good thigns bout Bassani.. This system will include, mufflers, catbacks, cats converters.. I may change this to American Thunder flowmaster tho]

Fuel Injectors: 42lbs [NOte: not sure the brand, im sure their all the same pretty much]
Fuel Pump: dunno what brand.. but prob 255lph
Throttle Body: again not sure.. but probably 80.. i know the engine is gonna chug some major gas..

Driveshaft: FRPP Aluminum obviously
Gears: FRPP 4.10 Gears [oh yeah lol]
Timing Chain: FRPP [Note: this isnt that important, but since im redoing the engine i might as well]
Transmission!!!!!!!!: T-56 Viper prepped.. Anything less? Me thinks not.. Although this will definitely definitely come last or close to it.. the freakin kit and trans not to mention hours it will take.. :p $4000 grand almost for a new trans..

Ahhh we finally reach some of the stuff that makes this car shine!
Force Induction: INcon Twin-Turbo or NOVI 2000 (Now I know, turbos efficient, etc.. more work than say a supercharger.. so I'm not sure yet.. I do like the instant power of the novi, and the incon does have its advntages.. NO, im not gonna start a turbo/supercharger debate..]

Brakes: What good is the car without brakes? Brembo.. god damn saleen brakes cost WAY too damn much.. jesus christ $4k for 14inch rotors.

-----------

Anyways I'm dumb :p thanks for wasting time reading this.

it really doesnt seem like you put much thought into it like you should have. Firstly, y are you gonna get an alphabet cam? I mean, with all this money you might as well spend another $200 and get a FTI cam. And bout the Holley intake, w/ those 4.10 gears, where do you think your RPMs are gonna be at as soon as you hit the gas. Im not sure if i have the 2.73s or 3.08s (feels slow like the 2.73s.... :shrug: ) but when i hit my gas RPMs automatically jump to around 1500rpm. If you plan on gettin forced induction dont get 4.10s unless its strictly a drag car where you can run 15+in slicks all the time and go through gears extremly quick. That would also require a lot of rear suspension work, stronger axles, etc... a 75mm TB will most likely be fine. And sparkplugs - lets just offest the cost of the FTI cam w/ some Autolite plugs. i got mine from Autozone - $11 for all 8. Baer are great brakes. Super great kit for $2000 - it stops SirSureShots 600hp stang, should stop your 400hp stang. Why not just get a Tremec TKO? I believe it would be much more cost efficient compared to a Viper T-56. You forgot about an AFPR and subframes and much more stuff i prolly didnt catch just by glancing through it.

I think the best part is that he has an objective statement! lol. It all looks good on paper, but as soon as you start mixing that stuff together man....it'd be something comparible to an ass salad! If I were you, I'd just call up your local speed shop and ask them what they recommend for what you're looking for. There's a lot more out there than just what's in your summit magazine.

Scorcher2005 said:
it really doesnt seem like you put much thought into it like you should have. Firstly, y are you gonna get an alphabet cam? I mean, with all this money you might as well spend another $200 and get a FTI cam. And bout the Holley intake, w/ those 4.10 gears, where do you think your RPMs are gonna be at as soon as you hit the gas. Im not sure if i have the 2.73s or 3.08s (feels slow like the 2.73s.... :shrug: ) but when i hit my gas RPMs automatically jump to around 1500rpm. If you plan on gettin forced induction dont get 4.10s unless its strictly a drag car where you can run 15+in slicks all the time and go through gears extremly quick. That would also require a lot of rear suspension work, stronger axles, etc... a 75mm TB will most likely be fine. And sparkplugs - lets just offest the cost of the FTI cam w/ some Autolite plugs. i got mine from Autozone - $11 for all 8. Baer are great brakes. Super great kit for $2000 - it stops SirSureShots 600hp stang, should stop your 400hp stang. Why not just get a Tremec TKO? I believe it would be much more cost efficient compared to a Viper T-56. You forgot about an AFPR and subframes and much more stuff i prolly didnt catch just by glancing through it.

:stupid: This guy just took the words right outta my mouth. Every one of them.

Well, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my camshaft choice, or any others for that matter.. I'm just pulling stuff out of my ass, and no I didn't read a summit magazine...

I have sinced revised the list several times, the majority of modificatiosn I plan to do is motor related, although after several reconsiderations.. I've decided that suspension is to come at the very first, then brakes.. then MOTOR.

Like, I said about camshafts.. I don't know what kind I need.. Well, I heard somsone say FTI so I'll look into it....

Yes, obviously the list isn't up to par, which is why I asked for assistance.. I'g given it a lto of thought :p and its a lot of reading aroudn the forums what people like, comparing the specs, reading through magazines and such..

----------

Obviously I've offended the Gods.. I shall burn :p

No, no. You're just new and opening your mouth in a forum with 70,000 members pretty much assures you some critisism from somewhere. Usually it's productive, if you want it to be. Focus, get your priorities lined up, and get ready to spend. We're always happy to help in that regard...

dkhl said:

In the world of high performance clutches, you'd be hard pressed to find anything less. The KC doesn't even make my list of recommended parts anymore. I had one, ONCE. As long as I'm using diaphragm pressure plates, I'll stick with SPEC or Hays. I've also heard man good things about the CF dual friction, but I've never tried one.

Try the search in this Users' Rides. It'll give you something more productive to do next time you're just sitting around thinking. Many people don't list all of their parts, but a lot of them go into great detail. Some even have dyno #s and sheets listed with their setups. Don't be afraid to PM users and ask questions about their setup.

Before you buy any parts, I'd highly recommend getting a look at 5.0L Ford Dyno Tests. I can assure you it's money very well spent. I never buy a part without the research upfront. Never buy parts based on a magazine article. Do the research and try to determine which pieces will work best together to achieve your 'objective'.

EDIT: Where are you building this car? Any emissions tests to be concerned with?

man yall are way too critical, some of yall need to quit gettin your panties in a wad over someone whos not a certified mechanic with a diploma in there hands, hes just havin fun, its actually pretty funny because when im bored i find myself day dreaming just like him about all this stuff i want to do to my car glad to know im not the only one obsessed with their car :drool:

deftsound said:
man yall are way too critical, some of yall need to quit gettin your panties in a wad over someone whos not a certified mechanic with a diploma in there hands, hes just havin fun, its actually pretty funny because when im bored i find myself day dreaming just like him about all this stuff i want to do to my car glad to know im not the only one obsessed with their car :drool:

Speaking of getting your panties in a wad...it seems that you've got your's wadded over other peoples wads :D J/K dude.

Just trying to help a brother out. I fall into the 'obsessed' category myself, but I'm a long way from diploma or certification. Actually, I'm forever away from them...(however far that is :shrug: )

I can't tell for sure, but is that the High Plains Drifter in your Avatar? Clint's got that pose in most of his westerns, so it's kinda hard to tell in B/W.

SlowGT said:
In the world of high performance clutches, you'd be hard pressed to find anything less. The KC doesn't even make my list of recommended parts anymore.
Ditto that. Anything less couldn't even be considered performance. I'm a die hard SPEC guy myself, unless you have the bucks for a Mcloud.

deftsound said:

its not like we were tryin to make fun of him or sumthing. We were just trying to help him w/ a better build before he goes and buys parts that are not only overpriced and ineffectove, but not even matched to each other.

I'm not feeling the "love" like I thought I would...

Well, I have a sickness.. I'm hooked on cars, thats all I think really.. IT used to be girls.. but now I'm a motorsexual male confused with what parts he might want.

I'm building this vehicle up in canada, yes I know there are a few canadian haters in this forum.. it's ok

Well, I'm just trying to make a nice car thats all.. it's definitely not to show off or anything of the such, I'm doing it for myself oh yeah and my friend who hasn't eaten 5.0L v8 domestic power yet.. Go INTEGRA!!!

Anyways thanks for the input, truly didn't wish to royally piss people off.. I shall just "read" the forums instead of posting on them from now onwards.. Good day, good luck and godspeed.

:stupid: Nobody's pissed dude. Some people just like to bust balls more than others. For the most part, everybody's here either getting help or helping others and sometimes both :nice:

Hey Maverick, how much does your car weigh? I just got a bone stock 92 notch 5spd and she went 14.96 @ 93.xx. It's only got 31k miles on. Believe it or not, she still has the 'new car smell'. By bone stock, I mean the air silencer is still in the fender, 2.73s and a spare tire. Just wondering how fast she could go with 3.55s, 73mm MAF, FMS shorties and a FMS driveshaft? Things that could easily be returned to stock.

4.10's with a blower.

I have 4.10s with a blower, works just fine. I have Nitto 555R's they hook in 3rd.. it run's 11's no problem, so don't discourage him from going with steeper gears because of the traction issues..

haha motorsexual thats a new one, im only 20 so i find myself in this conflict between cars beer and girls, usually its beer and cars, its really kinda sad :rlaugh:

oh the avatar is from the outlaw josey wales i think, not sure though, clints a bad ass :hail2: