autometer fuel level gauge help

bart

May 16, 2003
tn
ok fellas, ive just got thru installing my new autometer gauges. all are working except one. fuel level. its electric. i have found the sender wire Y/W. but the instructions tell me to "ground to fuel tank" now im pretty sure i was once told that the fuel tank "grounds" when you bolt it up in the vehicle, ie: the straps. so, does this mean i just ground it to the strap? im just gonna tell ya we've tried every ground wire in the harness behind the cluster and none of them work. thanks for any help, and can i get some help soon???

• Sponsors (?)

ok what do you mean by wrong gauge? as in wrong number?? i got it for 89-present ford, and mine is an 89. which ground should i use?? i have 2 types black and bk/w

bart said:
ok what do you mean by wrong gauge? as in wrong number?? i got it for 89-present ford, and mine is an 89. which ground should i use?? i have 2 types black and bk/w

There are several different gauges with different resistance for the fuel level. I don't know that all Fords are the same, but that's probably where I'd look -- since it sounds like you have it all hooked up right.

You don't by any chance still have the other one hooked up, that may cause some problems...?