Axle and Axle Tubes 8" vs 8.8"

nugget68

Sep 26, 2005
are the axles and axle tubed interchangable between 8" and 8.8". I have an 8.8 with 4.10 and a locker that is out of a ranger, but the pinion is offset more on the rander than the mustang, and i think it might pose a problem. if i can swap out the tube and axles i will do that rather than buying a new third member for my 8" which will cost $600...also how are the tubes removed...

• Sponsors (?)

8.8 tubes are spotwelded in and easier than snot to remove & replace IF you're good with spot weld removal & plug welding (Not me!)

It has been suggested to use 2 short side tubes and axles to get the pinion centered and get the length down. Hmm...could be a cheap JY option...2 identical 31spline 8.8s for $200, sell the brakes and chunk off one as well as the leftover axles and have all of NOTHING in it :D

if i used two short side axles and tubes, i wonder what my overall length would be? i dont have access to the rear end right now or i would measure, but if it is offset 1/2 inch , then i guess that would make it 3" narrower?