Axle/Rearend ?s

BossShinoda9701

Oct 16, 2004
Colorado
Getting some things out of the way before blower.

Should I go with 28 or 31 spline axles?

What else will I need when doing the axle swap? (new c clips or c clip eliminators,shims,etc)

Anything else should do while rearend is open (already have gears)?

Car is a daily driver and looking no more than 400-500hp.

• Sponsors (?)

BossShinoda9701 said:
Getting some things out of the way before blower.

Should I go with 28 or 31 spline axles?

What else will I need when doing the axle swap? (new c clips or c clip eliminators,shims,etc)

Anything else should do while rearend is open (already have gears)?

Car is a daily driver and looking no more than 400-500hp.
31-spline. I don't know if they cost anymore, but the extra strength is worth it. Plus, I've heard that some companies 28-spline axles have much higher failure rates in "underpowered" cars when compared to the 31-splines.

Remember though, you have to replace the posi if you are switching to 31-spline axles. The stock differential accepts 28-spline axles only.

Don't get C-clip eliminators. You cannot use them with disc brakes without serious modification.

Joe

So I would have to get like an Auburn, Eaton,Torsen differential that accepts 31 spline...(which is better) anything else?

Inner and outer axle bearings, new axle seals, differential bearings,(gear oil obviously) are the only other things I can think of.

What about Trac-Lok differentials? Pros/cons

Go with the auburn, those are supposed to be really tough. Your list about covers it I think, but check with some techs before you do the job, just to make sure...not sure about new C clips, but I would get the shim kit.