axle sleeves

4289cobra

Jul 30, 2009
:shrug: Need some help please, I am restoring a set of axles out of 69 Mach 31 spline, I needed to replace the axle bearing drivers side. When I removed the axle and pressed off the bearing I needed to remove some type of sleeve before I could press bearing on or off. Does anyone know if this sleeve is being reproduced anywhere?

• Sponsors (?)

:shrug: Need some help please, I am restoring a set of axles out of 69 Mach 31 spline, I needed to replace the axle bearing drivers side. When I removed the axle and pressed off the bearing I needed to remove some type of sleeve before I could press bearing on or off. Does anyone know if this sleeve is being reproduced anywhere?

That's the bearing retainer, and should be included with a new bearing.

Sometimes there is a sleeve installed on the axle shaft to cover grooves that can be worn in the portion of the axle shaft that contacts the seal, causing leakage. These are similar to the sleeves that can be installed on harmonic dampener hubs where they go through the front cover of the engine. In olden days they could be purchased from Ford.

One note: If you find these sleeves and install them, some sort of sealant needs to go between the sleeve and axle shaft or it will leak.